Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Honda Pilot 2017 front seat headrest too short for long torso drivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Lightbulb Honda Pilot 2017 front seat headrest too short for long torso drivers

Honda Pilot 2017 front seat headrest too short for long torso drivers

I purchased a new 2017 Honda Pilot and noticed that the headrest was too short to support my head and was instead pushing into the back of my neck even at the highest setting. Changing the seat’s positioning didn’t help since it doesn’t lengthen the back of the seat or headrest.

I called the Honda dealer asking for recommendations to the short headrest position and he was unable to offer me any suggestions. I looked online for headrest extension products but was unable to locate one.

In the end, I took the front seat headrest and turned it around backwards and removed some of the foam at the base where it was pushing into the back of my neck. There is a glued seam on the bottom of the headrest that will give you access to the foam interior, which incidentally could also be a great location to hide valuables in your car.

With the headrest inserted backwards and some of the foam removed at the base, the headrest (or more accurately head support) works as it will intercept your head in a rear collision. Not the “best” solution but it was the only thing I could think of that would work.

I just wanted to share my story to help others who may be in a similar situation. I doubt that this will protect your neck as well as the headrest being in the correct forward position but for me it wasn’t high enough to do it anyways so something is better than having no headrest at all.

Thanks,
Delar

Old 07-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Delar,
I have a 2006 Odyssey, and had the same issue with my head rest. My husband is 6'3", and it pushed his head as well. My arm would go numb after less than 10 minutes driving (due an issue with my neck). I love my van, just not the head rest.
Here is my solution:
travelbuddyposture.com

Old 07-27-2017, 08:13 AM

Good advice thanks for sharing