Pilot Forum This mid sized SUV offers the towing capacity of a small truck, with the interior room of an SUV.

Intermittent momentary loss of power while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Default Intermittent momentary loss of power while driving

I have a major problem that Honda mechanics can not figure out. My 2006 honda Pilot (2wd) has a problem where it loses ALL electric power for like .5 seconds while driving. The radio POPS through the speaker and either shuts off and restarts or just shuts off. No Dash indicators of any kind. The engine also lurches at this time due to a messing of the firing order I think. Also, periodically when my car is parked, the radio requires the RADIO CODE after I come back to it. This indicates a loss of battery while it is parked. I can't see how a battery failure of any kind can cause such a problem while driving. Battery is only 1 yr old and was tested fine by pep boys. I also have pulled OBD codes and nothing of any value is there. Dealer did extensive testing of whole electric/charging system and found nothing. Yet, it still happens about every couple of days. I live in So Cal, so it has been nice weather throughout. Generally around 75 degrees or so.

I also have done some testing on the ignition switch. Wiggling it when I drive. This does not cause the symptom to occur.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. check to see if all the plugs at the firewall are secured and clean. has the car ever been in an accident.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:00 PM

Nope! The car has never been in an accident. By plugs at the firewall, are you just meaning any electrical wires going from the engine compartment to the interior?

Old 06-11-2018, 04:02 PM

btw, how do I make certain to get notification of any replies posted on this thread? I thought I would since I am subscribed. But I did not.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

yes on electrical wires going from the eng comp to the interior. most are hooked up at the factory by manpower, some times rarely the plug is not quit clipped together.
i have had this happen to 2 diff cars. not mine. i do not get notice on replies, just have to look myself. or i dont know how to do it.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM

Hey all

I may have this problem solved. A tech at Pep Boys noticed that the OBD port was not operating as it should be when the car is off. He then looked at the fuse to the OBD port and found it was all burned looking. He changed that fuse out and now the OBD port works properly when the car is turned off. He believes this was somehow the source of my problem. I have not driven the car enough in order to feel like it is fixed, but I will repost more later once it either fails again or does not after a proper time. He also changed out my battery under warranty so, perhaps these 2 items will solve my problem! Fingers crossed!

Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

thank you for the feed back, finger crossed.