Prelude Forum This sporty coupe was popular with anyone who wanted a sporty, economical ride.

93 SI Dies Randomly - Sometimes Days Between Incidents

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Default 93 SI Dies Randomly - Sometimes Days Between Incidents

Hello All. My 1993 SI has been dying at what is often days between incidents. The details of the dying:

Have had the oil changed, fuel filter changed (they said the old one looked fine), cleaned the grounds under the hood, put in a new battery and distributor. Still died randomly. Gave it to Honda for a week, they said they could not replicate the problem and so they gave it back to me.
I've found that when it tries to die, I can step on the gas and the car will jerk somewhat violently and then keep going as if nothing was wrong until a little while later when it tries to die again. Each time it has died, it keeps dying multiple times until I get it to my destination. When it is acting up it always dies when I can't give it gas, like at an intersection. It usually starts right back up but wants to die soon after. When I took it to Honda it tried to die on me about 10 times on the way, and only actually died twice when I had to bring it to a stop. One of those times I had trouble getting it to start right back up - just turned the key over and over and it sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't... or would and then died immediately after. Finally got it started up and hit the gas right away and got it to Honda (though they turned out being zero help). It will often go days without any problem whatsoever. Any ideas as to what it could be? Thanks!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 SI Dies Randomly - Sometimes Days Between Incidents

welcome to the forum gremlin_mischief: enjoy your stay, and hope we might be able to assist.Have you checked your main relay?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome! Actually I have not checked the Main Relay. I don't even know what or where it is. If you point me in the right direction, I will definitely look at it. Also, some additional information - I don't know if it matters, but my blinkers have been acting up too. Even with good bulbs my blinkers will randomly act as if the bulb is bad by blinking really fast. Also, my car does not have to be moving for it to die. I just started it up this morning and it died almost immediately after. I have a standard, but it was in neutral so I know I didn't stall it. I started it back up a couple minutes later and the needled dropped way down for a second and shot right back up to where it should be. Later I was driving it and the rpms actually dropped to zero as I slowed down to take a turn, but a second after the car "died" I stepped on the gas and the car came back to life. If you think it is the Main Relay, I will definitely look at it. Also, could it be the fuel pump? Thanks for the help!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

on fuel pump,do youknow if the fuel filter was ever replaced? blinker system goes through the empergency switch, find a good used one at the salvage yard and swap. Relay would be the last item to change.
go to autozone.com, register for free and in repair or location, it will show you where and how to change.