Prelude Forum This sporty coupe was popular with anyone who wanted a sporty, economical ride.

Wanting feedback on crankshaft pulley removal hack

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 05:03 PM
Question Wanting feedback on crankshaft pulley removal hack

So I need to replace the crankshaft pulley on my 1991 Prelude. I know your suppose to get it off using the Honda special tool but I have seen a few hacks at doing it without it and I have decided to use the hack where you jam a pry bar in between the flywheel teeth to stop the crankshaft turning. I saw someone do it on YouTube but where the pry bar was inserted to wasn't shown. It looked like it was inserted into this hole...

https://ibb.co/L1F455G

I can't see flywheel teeth through that hole and I can't find anything in the manual about the flywheel... now that I think about it, I have seen it in the manual but it could have been in the section for a gearbox. I have an automatic transmission.

I am lost because I can't see the flywheel teeth. Can anyone provide feedback?

Last edited by Kolusion; 04-17-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:19 AM

Ok, so as I suspected, the reason I can't see the teeth is because they are inside some disc related to the automatic transmission.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:42 PM

Now I am looking at doing the hack where you shove nylon rope down piston 1. Does anyone have any feedback or advice on this?

Old 04-19-2021, 03:52 PM

Ok, so I have read that a lot of people have been having success with the rope hack. I have also read many people warning of bending valves. I have read a few people say that valve damage can be mitigated by checking if the valves are open by listening for air coming out of the spark plug hole with the spark plug out when lowering the piston.

I just watched a video on the relationship between valves and pistons to get a better idea of it.

I see that the valves open every second pass of the piston lowering. So, I need to get my piston in the lower position at this secondary pass.

I could try the listening out way and I guess I could remove the valve cover to check as well but I am not keen on doing that as my valve cover gasket leaks badly and removing the cover and putting it back on will probably make it worse.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to check when the valves are open?