Ridgeline Forum This new truck, the first of it's kind from Honda, is likely to be a class leader with it's powerful engine and unique options both inside, and out.

Looking at buying a 2019 Ridgeline and have a ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:33 AM
TCV
Default Looking at buying a 2019 Ridgeline and have a ?

I really like the Ridgeline, but not so sure about the engine having a Timing Belt. Why on earth would Honda be using a Timing Belt in a V6 Engine and not a Timing Chain? My Wife's Ford Focus 2.0L 4 has a Timing Chain, and my 05 Dodge Dakota V6 has a Timing Chain.
Also I find it kind of ironic that the US version of the Ridgeline does not offer Cooled seats. Yet the Canadian version does. Actually the Canadian Ridgeline Touring model has heated front and Rear seats and Cooled seats up front. I live Florida and Heated seats are nice once in a great while, but Cooled seats would be great for most of the year. I do not understand this logic with the Ridgeline.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. I own a 07 Fit and it has a timing chain.290k miles and still running good. Honda may be trying to keep costs down and not use the chain. I agree with you, with all this belt replacing at certain miles, lot better with the chain. perhaps Honda engineers have not developed a chain engine to date.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:12 PM

Welcome in,a agree why Honda doesn't use the chain is concerning but they know what they are doing,I know of a lot of Hondas pushing 400K miles . The cooled seat thing is a mistery but you can order one I'm sure. Good luck on you quest.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TCV
I really like the Ridgeline, but not so sure about the engine having a Timing Belt. Why on earth would Honda be using a Timing Belt in a V6 Engine and not a Timing Chain? My Wife's Ford Focus 2.0L 4 has a Timing Chain, and my 05 Dodge Dakota V6 has a Timing Chain.
Also I find it kind of ironic that the US version of the Ridgeline does not offer Cooled seats. Yet the Canadian version does. Actually the Canadian Ridgeline Touring model has heated front and Rear seats and Cooled seats up front. I live Florida and Heated seats are nice once in a great while, but Cooled seats would be great for most of the year. I do not understand this logic with the Ridgeline.
The V6 in the Ridgeline is a fairly old, but reliable design. Replacing the belt every 100k miles should be fine and if the tensioner shows signs of failure you can replace that, too. I'm coming from a few cars that have had a timing chain and they have their own issues. Sure the chain may not stretch much, but it can still stretch. In addition to the chain stretching the chain guides can also wear and fail (causing a timing failure). I had a VW 2.0L 4cyl motor with a timing chain where there was a fair number of people who had their oil-pressure-driven timing chain tensioner fail causing engine failure. Usually belts are easier to repair and replace as well. I recall the 1st Gen GM Colorado trucks with timing chain issues and the only way to properly replace it was to drop the motor or remove it completely...

I agree with the Canadian versions getting more stuff that i wish the US models received.The Canadian models also got a folding side mirror option. Why Honda? Cooled seats and folding side mirrors would've been really nice, but maybe it would've pushed the price too much for the market? Who knows.