Wheels and Tires All wheel and tire discussion

Tires - warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Default Tires - warranty

Helllo everyone! My curious mind would like to know if tires fall under the car's "warranty". The reason I ask is because twice the tire pressure gauge symbol has come on within 4 weeks...so obviously there is something going on with these tires. My car is a new 2017 Honda Civic LX CVT. I have less than 6500 miles on this little beauty. Also, if tires are covered under the warranty can I demand to have these tires replaced (at the dealers expense, of course :-)?

All thoughts/input are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. Tires do not fall under the "warranty". but you can try and ask. there may be a small leak in the tire. you might want to learn how to check each tire and find out which one is going low and have it checked for nail or wire to allow the tire to leak down.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. Tires do not fall under the "warranty". but you can try and ask. there may be a small leak in the tire. you might want to learn how to check each tire and find out which one is going low and have it checked for nail or wire to allow the tire to leak down.
Thank you and will follow your suggestion.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:57 PM

I have heard that manufacturers will put on the cheapest tires to keep prices down.
And many new owners will drive straight to a tire place to have good tires put on.
Good tires make a big difference in ride comfort.
Well, don't know if that is true .. just something I heard.

Also, when buying new tires, road hazard insurance is for replacement of tire due to something on the road that causes the need for the tires to be replaced
Other warranty .. miles ... is for manufacturers defects and is prorated for how many miles you got with old tire.

Last edited by avisitor; 06-11-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
I have heard that manufacturers will put on the cheapest tires to keep prices down.
And many new owners will drive straight to a tire place to have good tires put on.
Good tires make a big difference in ride comfort.
Well, don't know if that is true .. just something I heard.

Also, when buying new tires, road hazard insurance is for replacement of tire due to something on the road that causes the need for the tires to be replaced
Other warranty .. miles ... is for manufacturers defects and is prorated for how many miles you got with old tire.
Thank you for sharing and will remember your points of expertise. The tires on my car are Firestone FT140 - isn't Firestone a good brand? Plus, I have just over 6500 miles on car. Appreciate your response!

Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM

Firestone stopped sales to Ford saying that they were used as a scapegoat
Ford explorers had an usually high number of tire blow outs
This was around 2000 or 2001
Would I trust Firestone? Don't know

What about Bridgestone and Goodyear?
Yeah, they had their scandals too.
Don't know who to trust.

Keep eye out for date of manufacture
Over five years old and tire is a danger to anyone who uses it.
Usually a four digit code that has the week and year of manufacture
Example .. 2518 is the 25th week of the year 2018.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:58 PM

I truly appreciate the education being shared by you and will definitely check my tires for that code. Wow, tire blow outs...that is scary as hell, phew. Well, will need to watch for tire sales. Again, thank you!

Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Old 06-13-2019, 04:51 AM

Found the DOT # on my tires 0117....so they are not old. As mentioned in previous reply will be on the lookout for sales on tires. :-)