CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2005 Honda CRV Parasitic Draw

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Joao
Went out today and pulled the power to the window motor on the passenger side. Still having parasitic draw. Furthermore...even with the fuse pulled for that window, NOW it still has a parasitic draw so maybe I made a mistake. I'll have to go back and pull all the fuses again, I guess.
Question: did you check alternator output when you had the battery checked? If it was ok then try the following.
If the parasitic draw stops after all the fuses are pulled. Put one fuse back in at a time checking parasitic draw each time.

Last edited by Bubbalou88; 10-21-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:16 PM

No, no change.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:07 PM

I have checked both front windows and they are both drawing the same...22mA with the fuse in and 8mA with the fuse out. That doesn't seem enough to kill a battery that has been sitting for awhile. I measured the volts of the battery and it was 12.65. I'm just going to watch it for awhile before trying anything more. Many thanks to all who have given me some good information. I have learned a lot. I had gone to Advance Auto once before to have them check the battery and I think I'll go again. The big problem is that I can't trust the Honda now. We drove into town earlier this year and I left my wife in the car while I went in for an appointment--about 30 minutes. Came back out and the battery was FLAT. She had been listening to the radio for 30 minutes. I just don't get it. Perhaps it is an alternator issue. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:18 PM

I have checked both front windows and they are both drawing the same...22mA with the fuse in and 8mA with the fuse out. That doesn't seem enough to kill a battery that has been sitting for awhile. I measured the volts of the battery and it was 12.65. I'm just going to watch it for awhile before trying anything more. Many thanks to all who have given me some good information. I have learned a lot. I had gone to Advance Auto once before to have them check the battery and I think I'll go again. The big problem is that I can't trust the Honda now. We drove into town earlier this year and I left my wife in the car while I went in for an appointment--about 30 minutes. Came back out and the battery was FLAT. She had been listening to the radio for 30 minutes. I just don't get it. Perhaps it is an alternator issue. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Right, 8ma is the equivalent of 1 L.E.D. and shouldn’t be an issue. Did you pull all fuse as I suggested then checking parasitic draw? and if it stops put one fuse at a time back in while monitoring for draw before going to insert the next fuse.

Old 10-28-2023, 02:59 PM

When you say "pull all fuses" do you mean ALL the fuses in the Honda? Something new: I noticed yesterday when it was late in the day that the driver's side window switch was "lit up". Lights weren't on. Key wasn't in the ignition. I tried the driver's side window and it worked--up and down. I pulled the fuse for the left front window.
Is that supposed to be some feature of the Honda? I tried to reset the windows by turning the engine on and lowering the driver's side window and then raising it and holding it for at least 2 seconds. I think I read that in the manual. Didn't fix the problem.

Old 10-31-2023, 03:37 PM

When you say "pull all fuses" do you mean ALL the fuses in the Honda? Something new: I noticed yesterday when it was late in the day that the driver's side window switch was "lit up". Lights weren't on. Key wasn't in the ignition. I tried the driver's side window and it worked--up and down. I pulled the fuse for the left front window.
Is that supposed to be some feature of the Honda? I tried to reset the windows by turning the engine on and lowering the driver's side window and then raising it and holding it for at least 2 seconds. I think I read that in the manual. Didn't fix the problem.
Yes, I meant all the fuses while monitoring the current draw. It should go to zero, then put one fuse at a time back in monitoring the current draw. Once and if you find the culprit put all fuses back and check that circuit.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:20 PM

Why not monitor the draw as you pull fuses.
BTW start with modules and motors, ie. windows/seats

Old 10-31-2023, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
Why not monitor the draw as you pull fuses.
BTW start with modules and motors, ie. windows/seats
Good idea!