CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2007 CR-V Won't Start After Replacing Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 06:12 PM
Default 2007 CR-V Won't Start After Replacing Ignition Switch

Since about January or so, my 2007 Honda CR-V has been buzzing whenever I turn the key rather than starting and it usually takes a few tries to get the car started. Lately though, it's taken usually 5+ tries before it would start so I replaced the ignition switch yesterday.

After making sure everything was screwed in properly, I reconnected the battery but I was then stuck in accessory mode as the key wouldn't turn and when I pressed the lock/unlock buttons nothing happened. Same thing with the secondary key. I switched back to the original ignition switch but I still had all of those problems. I figured that the immobilizer might have been activated but as it was getting dark, I disconnected the battery and thought I would wait until this morning to take another look.

This morning I headed out, connected the battery again, but this time when I insert the key, absolutely nothing happens. The dash doesn't light up and nothing turns on. The car beeps when I leave the door open and the headlights turn on and their symbol will light up on the dash but I can't even get the car into accessory mode any more.

I didn't touch or do anything between last night when I disconnected and this morning when I reconnected the battery, but somehow now the car won't even go into accessory mode.

I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or knows if there is anything I can do to fix this problem. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Old 07-04-2022, 09:46 PM

Battery?

Old 07-05-2022, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by AM77
After making sure everything was screwed in properly, I reconnected the battery but I was then stuck in accessory mode as the key wouldn't turn and when I pressed the lock/unlock buttons nothing happened. Same thing with the secondary key. I switched back to the original ignition switch but I still had all of those problems.
If key is stuck in the lock cylinder then pressing unlock or lock will do nothing.
If key would not turn then something is jammed in lock cylinder and probably not the ignition switch.
Did you just take out the switch and not the lock?
Does key turn when switch in not in place?
This would help indicate whether the lock cylinder has issue or switch?
Check all fuses using a test light?
Is switch aligned properly when installed?

Old 07-05-2022, 02:30 PM

I figured out that my partner had been twisting the disk of the ignition switch before I installed it which is why things weren't working properly. I took it out, reset it, re-installed it and called a locksmith to reprogram my keys and now everything works perfectly. Thank you so much everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!

Old 07-05-2022, 04:21 PM

Glad it's working for you.