CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2015 CR-V Touring AWD "metal vibration" sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 05:34 PM
Angry 2015 CR-V Touring AWD "metal vibration" sound

Hi all, I have a 2015 CR-V Touring AWD with 32,000 miles on it. Its my baby and I drive it mostly during the summer. when it hit about 30,000 miles, there's a very strange metal vibration sound coming from the front end - almost like a thin metal fin vibrating somewhere. It does it on acceleration and in low gears. Once out of 2nd gear and into the more cruising gears, I don't experience it EXCEPT when engine braking starts. then the sound is horrendous and sounds like something is vibrating and about to fall off. It's also doing weird engine braking where I actually have to step on the gas to kick it into a higher gear so it will coast and the fin vibration sound stops. Anyone every experience this? Is it drivetrain associated? Its still under that until Nov 2020 - if it is, then I'd like to take it in BEFORE that last bit of warranty expires. I bought it from mom-in-law in 2015 with 11K miles on it and the next 21K has been all me and mostly highway, so I didn't really notice anything until I started driving it around town, etc. I understand there's issues with the 2015 as a re-design year. its so annoying I'm thinking of trading it in even though it still drives & rides like brand new. Any thoughts anyone?

Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. If your cr-v is under warranty, take it into Honda to get it checked out first.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:00 PM

my problem is that I can't determine whether its drivetrain related and I don't want to have to pay for it if its not. Mine also has that vibration everyone complained about but its not bad like some I've read.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

from what you have written, it sounds like drive train related noise. if you can hear this noise with your radio off, on a smooth street. does this noise happen in reverse. have you tried with awd on and off. sounds almost like a cvt transmission.noise.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:16 AM

1. Yes I can hear it with the radio off.
2. Yes I can hear it on any road
3. Noise is sometimes upon acceleration from a stop - not always but seems to be associated with the lower gears.
4. does not happen in reverse
5. I do not think I can disengage the AWD - its a Touring and I think its engaged all the time. I wouldn't even know where to look for a button or something.
6. noise is definitely when going downhill and I'm coasting and it drops into a lower gear, and the worst when engine braking is going on.
7. It just sounds like what a thin piece of metal would sound like if its vibrating against something. I'm hearing it from the front of the car. I sat in the rear and had my husband drive it and didn't hear anything from the back seat. But he didn't hear anything from the front either. I drove it right after and didn't hear it. Its been colder here, so he wondered if it could be something that the temperature could affect...I'm at a loss. I just had it in for inspection and asked them to test drive it to see if they could hear it and of course they said they could not duplicate noise. The dealer is on a hill, so they should have been able to hear it. I'm going to have to take them for a ride myself I guess. I know if I take it in they will charge a $99 diagnostic fee and I don't want to pay that if its nothing but a loose piece of metal somewhere in the front end-which could be virtually anywhere. But, if its transmission I want to get it in there before that warranty runs out.

thanks for responding

Last edited by SherrieP; 10-21-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-18-2021, 05:26 PM

Hi Sherrie P. did you ever get to the bottom of the strange noise you were having on your CRV.