CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2019 R-V oil change nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Default 2019 R-V oil change nightmare.

My dash light showed an oil can and said 20% .
I had bought 3 big jugs of 0-20 oil when it was on sale because I do my own oil changes on everything I ever owned.
Well I drove the front wheels up the railway ties I cut for this purpose and crawled under.
There is little Philips screw holding the front plastic to the flimsy tin splash shield that has to be removed.
After that screw there are 5 or 6 plastic plug things you turn sideways with a big slotted screwdriver. They fall out , and are re useable.
Now the nightmare began.
There are three big bolts you need a large Philips screwdriver to undo them with.
The first one was tight but , nothing a bit of hard twisting couldn't undo.
The other front one was different , the harder I twisted the screwdriver just backed down out of the x and slipped ( not stripping the bolt) .
I got my leg under the screwdriver so I could put pressure upwards to prevent the screwdriver from coming out of the bolt ,after a few trys it loosened up.
The rear one was a different story, no matter how hard I pushed up ,the screw driver just slipped out. .
Finally I got out a little trolley jack , the kind they sell for $30 or so ,and with the screwdriver in the X slot of the bolt I jacked the screwdriver up putting a lot of pressure , nexy I got my largest vise grips and turned the screwdriver .
Once it turned a little I let the jack down and it came out easy..
Then came the oil filter ( draining the engine was no problem,I undid the nut with a crescent wrench) . They must have had a weightlifter on steroids tighten it on.. These days most filters are much smaller than old ones and my filter wrench was to big,so off to the store I went to get a smaller one. ( I don't use the filter wrench anymore because I always buy fram filters with the rough lower part you can get a grip on) . After mush struggling I came undone , but it's in an awkward location to put a hoop type filter wrench on. .
Once all that was done putting it all back together was easy .I dabbed " Anti Seize Compound " on the 3 bolts I had to fight with,and I just snugged them up fairly good ,,same as I did the filter .
Anyway I can imagine how many people tried doing their own oil change and didn't hav the right tools or determination , and gave up ,and took it to Honda ..

Old 09-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

i am very surprised that Honda did such a gorilla tighten on your cover plate. i bet even the dealership used grinding compound and an apex tip with an airgun to loosen up the screws from hell.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:07 PM

It is seriously interesting ://

Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 AM

Welcome in,first off when you have a problem with an over tight screw insert the screw driver and tap the end with a hammer,90% of the time this will do the trick. Second try placing a box end wrench over the handle of the screw driver and turn it with the wrench,you will be surprised and the amount of tourque that provides. Good thing is now that you have loosened them yourself it should be a breeze next time,good luck.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:00 PM

Japanese vehicles, as I understand it, use a 'JIS' (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw head vs phillips. It can be difficult to use a normal Phillips screwdriver in a JIS screw. They look the same, but the Phillips screwdriver has a hard time conveying enough turning power without torqueing our ot the JIS screw head.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:17 AM

I had a similar issue trying to undo the philips screws on the air filter box of my 2018 CRV...all but one came out but with a lot of effort.
I had to have the dealer get the last one out so I could put in a K&N flter.

My very first attempt at an oil change in 1977 on a Honda Civic CVCC was a disaster.
The filter was way over tightened at the factory.
When I finally got it off I didn't know there was a rubber gasket on a filter or to check the old filter.
The OEM gasket stuck to the engine.
I then had two gaskets - the new filter's and the old filter's.
As you know, that's Not good.
I blew out the filter on the Merritt Parkway in CT.
At least I stopped and turned off the engine fast enough that no damage was done - just oil everywhere and lots of laughs / ribbing by the gas station mechanic.

That never happened again ...I did have an adventure with metal ramps though...……….another time

Old 12-26-2019, 01:38 PM

The JIS screwdriver in my tool box has a metal shaft that runs from the tip to the end of the handle. When struck with a hammer, it rotates 17 degrees anti clockwise. I never could have removed the brake rotors I recently replaced without that function.