CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

2022 CRV Hybrid key fob

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 04:10 PM
Default 2022 CRV Hybrid key fob

My wife almost got stranded because the battery in her key fob died. Couldn't get door to unlock so used the emergency key BUT the car wouldn't start up without the key fob being energized. Luckily she was able to walk a mile to a local coffee shop where she knew one of the owners, who amazingly had a button battery that fit (it was for her baking scale). Next came the fun of changing the battery in the ridiculously designed fob. Required a screwdriver to pop battery loose because hey, everyone driving a CRV carries a tiny screw driver ---- lucky the coffee shop had one of those too. She walked the mile back and car starts up and she went to the local 7-11 and bought the coffee shop a new battery.

PLEASE tell me Honda didn't design this ridiculous mess? (Oh - and the buttons on your fob are not anchored to the fob and fall out when you open it up and try to replace the battery - thanks Honda). What on earth are these car companies doing?

Old 09-08-2023, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Redandranger
My wife almost got stranded because the battery in her key fob died. Couldn't get door to unlock so used the emergency key BUT the car wouldn't start up without the key fob being energized. Luckily she was able to walk a mile to a local coffee shop where she knew one of the owners, who amazingly had a button battery that fit (it was for her baking scale). Next came the fun of changing the battery in the ridiculously designed fob. Required a screwdriver to pop battery loose because hey, everyone driving a CRV carries a tiny screw driver ---- lucky the coffee shop had one of those too. She walked the mile back and car starts up and she went to the local 7-11 and bought the coffee shop a new battery.

PLEASE tell me Honda didn't design this ridiculous mess? (Oh - and the buttons on your fob are not anchored to the fob and fall out when you open it up and try to replace the battery - thanks Honda). What on earth are these car companies doing?
I see they have improved the design. If you got it back together it's an improvement.

Old 09-09-2023, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Redandranger

That was one of the things I liked about my 2021 Hyundai Elantra Limited. It reported when it detected the remote fab’s battery running low. I think I will replace my battery in the remote keyfob every year on September 1st. That may be overkill but won’t find myself stuck at least

Last edited by Bubbalou88; 09-09-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:51 PM

Check the owner's manual. They have the procedure for when your Key FOB battery is low or dead. Use key in key FOB to open door. Hold key FOB with "H" on the push to start button. The Button will sense the key FOB and send signal for RFID chip to respond (no power needed from Key FOB. When Button lights up, depress brake and push the start button. Engine should start.