CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Adding a Powered Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Default Adding a Powered Subwoofer

I want to improve the sound of the radio/stereo in my 2020 EX. I've ordered Hertz component speakers for the front doors, which should arrive later this week. I also want to add a powered subwoofer (considering ordering a Sound Ordanance B-8PTD, but am open to other recommendations0, but am not sure how to go about hooking it up. My understanding is the radio in the EX is connected to an amplifier, which in turn powers the 6 speakers in the vehicle Two questions.
1. Where is the amplifier located or how is it accessed?
2. Does anyone have the radio/amplifier/speaker wiring color code for the current generation CR-V.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:42 PM

I've installed the Hertz K-170 component speakers in the front doors (6.75" midrange/woofer, PEI dome tweeter) and Hertz X-170 6.75" Coaxial speakers in the rear door. The sound improvement was quite dramatic: both high and lows are extended; all harshness disappeared; and because the speakers have a 93.5 sensitivity, the head unit plays much louder than before.

I purchased a Kenwood KSC-PSW8 compact powered subwoofer which I've installed under the passenger side rear seat. Hooking the power and ground were not a problem, However, I'm finding it difficult to isolate speaker leads so I can tap into them to feed the high level input on the subwoofer. I tried unsuccessfully to tap into the speaker wires leading to the rear door - but they are bundled together with several other wires, surrounded by a plastic sheath, and the wire coding/coloring isn't the same as the wires inside the door that attach to the speaker,

For those who have installed a power amp or powered sub using a high level input, where and how did you tap into the speaker wires.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-24-2021, 10:41 PM

After spending countless hours trying unsuccessfully to tap into the speaker wires inside the plastic sheathing that exits the pillar between the front and rear doors, I finally figured out an easier way to do it.

I used a plastic mini drain snake (https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...5154336&ipos=1), which I filed the hooks down until the surface was smooth. I covered the tip of the snake in lithium grease, and starting from within the rear door, carefully pushed it through the flexible tubing between the rear door and center pillar. I had to unbolt the seat belt at the bottom the door pillar so I could reach upward to grab the end of the drain snake inside the door pillar. I pulled it down and out of the pillar, washed off the grease with rubbing alcohol, attached about 2 inches of speaker wire to the end of drain snake with duct tape, covered the taped area with lithium grease, and pulled the snake with wire attached back through the flexible tubing and into the door panel. I connected the wires to the speaker adapter leads (Crutchfield supplied them, along with the speaker mounting brackets, free with the speakers) with Posi Taps. I ran the other end of the wire under the door plate, then under the carpeting to the subwoofer installed under the rear passenger side seat.

When I first turned on the system, the bass sounded mushy. I remembered I had turned up the bass to near full on the head unit, so I readjusted the bass on the head unit to neutral, and after adjusting the crossover frequency and volume level of the subwoofer, everything fell into place. I attached the subwoofer remote control with velcro underneath the dash, just to the left of the steering column. It's out of sight, but I can easily reach it if I want to adjust the low frequencies.

The overall improvement in sound is amazing. The highs are crystal clear, the bass is clean and tight (and can go much louder than I find tolerable), and the system has incredible dynamic punch, Total cost for the upgrades, approximately $430 - well worth the expense and time.

Last edited by GELewis; 02-25-2021 at 09:19 AM.