CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

DPF warning light on 2016 deisel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Angry DPF warning light on 2016 deisel

hi all,

i‘m new to the forum and hoping someone can help me with my problem.
I bought 2016 CRV 2 litre deisel auto only a year ago and warning light for DPF has come on.. As I understand this covered under warranty as car is just 2 years old however Honda have come back and said it won’t covered under warranty as I have not used the car as recommenced that is average of 25-30 mph.. I have been using the car normally and average is 13.9 mph over 8000 miles .. however I was never told of this requirement of driving at 25mph average speed nor can I find anything like this in Honda warranty book..

can someone please advise me my options as I feel really let down and short changed as it should covered under warranty.

thanks in advance,
santosh

Old 03-10-2019, 05:48 PM

What country are you in?

In the United States companies are legally obligated to fulfill their warranties. Requiring specific operating perameters is not considered as excuse, especially if you have not acknowledged those perameters in writing. In most states there is also something called the Lemon Law, which requires them to refund for entire purchase price of your vehicle if they cannot repair defects.

I have to imagine your country has similar laws. (I'm thinking you're outside the US because I don't think diesel CR-Vs are offered here, but if I'm wrong, please educate me.)

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2019, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. who has been maintaining your cr-v, Honda dealer or have you been doing the maintenance for the cr-v. if you had someone else other than Honda dealer under the 3 year 36k mile warranty, they can refuse to honor any warranty offered by Honda Dealership.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lochinvar
What country are you in?

In the United States companies are legally obligated to fulfill their warranties. Requiring specific operating perameters is not considered as excuse, especially if you have not acknowledged those perameters in writing. In most states there is also something called the Lemon Law, which requires them to refund for entire purchase price of your vehicle if they cannot repair defects.

I have to imagine your country has similar laws. (I'm thinking you're outside the US because I don't think diesel CR-Vs are offered here, but if I'm wrong, please educate me.)

Good luck!
Thank you for your reply I'm in the UK but I guess similar laws must apply. How do I take it forward ?

Old 03-12-2019, 02:12 AM

I bought the CRV from Honda Bracknell dealer in March 2018 and the car had 6600 miles on it. Since then have serviced the car in Jan 2019 with another Honda dealer. My car has now done just over 15000 miles so driven fairly. I too feel it should covered under warranty but dealer who checked the car and tried failed DPF regeneration said Honda the manufacturers have refused to covered under warranty as the car was not driven at around 25 miles an hour of average speed over a period of time. I was never told about this condition or requirement ever by any dealer or manufacturer. More so the car could have already had the fault when I bought it as it had only done 6600 miles in 2 years which is too low .
Is there anyway I can get this car fixed under warranty or given back to the dealer as it’s not fit for purpose ?

many thanks in advance.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum. who has been maintaining your cr-v, Honda dealer or have you been doing the maintenance for the cr-v. if you had someone else other than Honda dealer under the 3 year 36k mile warranty, they can refuse to honor any warranty offered by Honda Dealership.
I bought the CRV from Honda Bracknell dealer in March 2018 and the car had 6600 miles on it. Since then have serviced the car in Jan 2019 with another Honda dealer. My car has now done just over 15000 miles so driven fairly. I too feel it should covered under warranty but dealer who checked the car and tried failed DPF regeneration said Honda the manufacturers have refused to covered under warranty as the car was not driven at around 25 miles an hour of average speed over a period of time. I was never told about this condition or requirement ever by any dealer or manufacturer. More so the car could have already had the fault when I bought it as it had only done 6600 miles in 2 years which is too low .
Is there anyway I can get this car fixed under warranty or given back to the dealer as it’s not fit for purpose ?

Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 AM

I would first take the car out for a really good road trip on the highway to see if that would clear out the DPF.
They are suppose to be self cleaning if run right??

Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Thank you .I've taken the car for a long drive but it has failed to clear the DPF light... Manual Treherbert by the dealer has also failed.. Do manual cleaning if replacement are the only options but I would think these to be voiced under warranty for a car that is 25th old with only 15k miles on it.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:07 PM

Can you reset the light and then take it on the highway??
I f that doesn't work then it seems you might have to get her fixed

Old 03-12-2019, 05:11 PM

Thanks. How do I reset the lights I don't think there is any way to reset by the user ..