CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Electrical problem with Crv seems to have 3 mechanics stumped. Reward for your help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Default Electrical problem with 2008 CRV has 3 mechanics stumped. Reward for your help.

Hello, I'm a first time visitor here. I'm an American living in the Philippines. A few months ago I bought a 2008 Crv(auto) . Love the car, and it was great until it developed a problem that has the mechanics stumped. They are island mechanics, so who knows. The problem presented as this: One day, the car wouldn't start. Also when the key was in the accessory position, the windows and the dash lights(CEL, etc everything behind the steering wheel) had no power and did not function, but the AC blower, the stereo, etc all worked fine. After trying to start a few times, suddenly the dash lights lit up and it started instantly. I had no more problems for one month. Then it happened again, identical symptoms. The next day, it functioned normally. Another month passed, and I was driving down the road and suddenly car lost power and engine died. Same problem with window and dash lights not working. That was 5 weeks ago and the car hasn't started since. I have 3 guys looking at it.. I first assumed ignition switch, but they say they checked that first. They say all relays have been checked also. If anyone with their infinite wisdom has some applicable knowledge here, I'd be greatly appreciative. Not many mechanic choices in Panglao, Bohol, Philippines!

Last edited by Shaun Peter; 06-01-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-01-2019, 01:53 PM

What kind of no start is this?
Crank, no start
No crank, no start

Two different circuits and two different approaches.

I thought ignition switch also. So, question, how did the mechanics check out the ignition switch??
Would clean up battery post, ground strap
Double check to see you have a good battery
And alternator is charging (remember Honda uses smart charging system)

When cranking, was there a key symbol???
That is the immobilizer. If wrong key then engine will crank but not start

If it doesn't crank then did you try to wiggle the gear selector or put it in neutral

Old 06-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Default More info

Hi there, thanks for the reply. It is a crank/no start condition. Cranks normally. There is no key symbol, no lights on dash or instrument panel whatsoever, electric windows don't function. Mechanic showed me if he connects power to a wire under the dash bypassing the ignition, everything works including windows and the car starts, but they don't know where the problem is. They say they checked ignition switch, I don't know their method. They are considering ecu now, and are not interested in the previous symptoms I had or that it was an intermittent problem before. They've had my car for 5 weeks which is creating a bit of a problem.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 PM

If they can connect power to a wire to start the engine then it is not the ECU.
Must use an electrical schematic to trace this wire to see where it comes from and/or what it is suppose to do.
I am still thinking that it could be the ignition switch or a bum wire.
Sorry with out more information and actually be there to test it, I can not help.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:47 AM
Default Some more info/immobilizer

Originally Posted by avisitor
If they can connect power to a wire to start the engine then it is not the ECU.
Must use an electrical schematic to trace this wire to see where it comes from and/or what it is suppose to do.
I am still thinking that it could be the ignition switch or a bum wire.
Sorry with out more information and actually be there to test it, I can not help.
Appreciate your help very much. I have one more piece of info today, when the mechanic connects the wire under the dash to make everything seem to function normally, the green key light flashes. If we start the engine at this point we have to give it gas or it won't continue running. Is this just because he bypassed something, or is the immobilizer the root of the problem here? My key is cracked on the fob, but would a bad chip really cause my car to die while at full speed on the highway, disable engine, windows, dash lights, and cigarette lighter but leave everything else electrical working normally? Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun Peter
Appreciate your help very much. I have one more piece of info today, when the mechanic connects the wire under the dash to make everything seem to function normally, the green key light flashes. If we start the engine at this point we have to give it gas or it won't continue running. Is this just because he bypassed something, or is the immobilizer the root of the problem here? My key is cracked on the fob, but would a bad chip really cause my car to die while at full speed on the highway, disable engine, windows, dash lights, and cigarette lighter but leave everything else electrical working normally? Thanks again.
Sorry, I haven't been much help. Does the green key light come on when you just use your key to crank the engine?
If it does then the key could be the issue. If not then I don't know.
Your mechanics seem to know how to get your car started by by-passing something I don't know about.
I thought they were giving power to a wire that isn't getting the power it normally has??