CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

How to get belt off to access VTC Strainer, 2003 CRV, K24

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 01:27 AM
Default How to get belt off to access VTC Strainer, 2003 CRV, K24

not that anyone cares, no ones resaponding to my other posts., but this is just getting beyond ridiculous.
It's all so bad so bad that ive managed to get so upset that ive had myself banned from other forums for getting so angry at my predicament.
PPL in here are my only hope.
I want to clean the VTC strainer, located at the front of the engine hidden where they want it so that you have to pay honda. But now, as per usual, its just impossible, even for someone like me, swho has spent from age 12 to 35 repairing engines and gcars.. I cant get any form of sockket or anything (even oppen ender) onto the bolt on the belt tensionner puley to loosen the belt to remove the power steering pump to a gain access to the strainer cover.

How do people do this?
There is (ironicaly) a power steering pressure line routed right in front of where you need to get a wrench.
Ive watched youtube videos of ppl doingit, they just hapilly do it with a smile on their face like its nthing, but its impossible becasue the high pressure line is in the way.
There is about 15mm clearance between the pulley and the hose. see image below

So it sseems impossible to ever replace the belt unless u cut it, and then install a new one by maybe installing the tensoner in locked loose position then let it expand by releasing the main pivot bolt.
So starting from fresh from anyone whose done it?
How do i get access to the strainer.
THe belt tensonner tool that is available looks to me to stil be too long.

IM'm just about at whits end, in tears daily, also ordered a thermostat for this exact model, but some low life must have re-engineered the radiator top tank because the tradiator is stock, but the cap doesnt fit. I am 100% certain i got the right part, days of reserarch anad analysis of ddiffeent japanese models and VIN. It just isnt matching because ppl here do anyuthing and everythign to avoid honda, and just do stupid stuff themselves. like soldering a new random filler kneck to a radiator.

Please someone, even jsut emotional support, i got ano one.

Old 08-28-2021, 04:14 PM

I have replaced my serpentine belt. The tensioner is a very strong one.
I first got the boxed end of the wrench on the bolt
Then hooked another boxed end over the open end of the first wrench
and pulled toward the front of the vehicle.
The tensioner will move.

Yes, there is not a lot of room
But, there is just enough room to do this.
I believe I removed the power steering reservoir and bracket on my 2007
Good luck and do not give up.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:16 AM

yeh i tried that, and rounded the bolt enough to give up and realise i need to stop.
Looks like im going to have to remove the engine mounts, and lift the engine. How stupid is that. just to clean a filter.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:54 AM

Did you use a 12 point wrench or 6 point wrench?
12 point wrenches are notorious for rounding bolts.
Well, good luck.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:27 AM

yehh havent got access to any 6 points here. perhaps its as simlpe as that. im just getting **** weak in my 30s. its the kids I tell yah!
i now recognise that i probabyl need to remove that engine mount part anyway, so im still stuck.

oih yeh and , this country has never developed a supply chain.
i searhc for 6 point wrench on the biggest online store, and this is what i get. Yenhm, they dont know what it means. Everything here is etiher a scam, or a total fail. Ive gotta be careful what i say of I could get banned for being.. RUDE!
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/t...freeshipping=1

Last edited by Jeremy Thompson; 08-31-2021 at 05:37 AM.