CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Intermittent Push Start issue 2015 Honda CRV

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 11:55 AM
Question Intermittent Push Start issue 2015 Honda CRV

Hello,

My 2015 CRV has been having what seems to be a fairly common issue of not starting intermittently. When this happens, the brake pedal becomes difficult to push down, the Electric Power Steering light and Starter System Light both come on. I can wait a minute and it will start right up and other times it takes several attempts to get the vehicle to start. My deductive reasoning says it's the starter but that didn't seems to be the issue in everything I read because some people still had the issue even after the starter was replaced. I can tell you that this NOT a battery issue, the battery was replaced, the terminals cleaned and checked the wires checked and all that is just fine,
If replacing the starter has resolved this for anyone please let me know and how easy was it to replace?
Thanks!

Old 06-16-2023, 08:36 PM

Need to test it at the relay when it's not starting. If tripping the relay gets the starter to hit the relay is going bad.

Old 06-18-2023, 02:06 PM
Default Relay

I switched the relay from the horn to the starter relay (both are identical) and I continue to have the issue. I hear the clicking at the starter…ugh

Old 06-18-2023, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by tldempsey68
I switched the relay from the horn to the starter relay (both are identical) and I continue to have the issue. I hear the clicking at the starter…ugh
We need to test the leg from the relay to the starter. This will not be easy as we need to see how many volts are getting to the starter.
Do we have an electrical diagram of the starting system?

Old 06-19-2023, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by grcauto
We need to test the leg from the relay to the starter. This will not be easy as we need to see how many volts are getting to the starter.
Do we have an electrical diagram of the starting system?
Would the starter click if it weren’t getting enough volts? You can hear the starter clicking when it happens but it’s very random when it does happen. This is what has me perplexed.

Old 06-19-2023, 02:46 PM

Would the starter click if it weren’t getting enough volts? You can hear the starter clicking when it happens but it’s very random when it does happen. This is what has me perplexed.
When the volts are to low it will click.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:46 AM
Default Intermitent Star

my Honda vehicle is a 2008 Honda CR-V i have the same issue with intermittent start but let me go back 1 1/2 years start experience problem with starting the car until one day won't start at Costco parking lot i have to toll the truck to my house driveway because my mechanic won't answered the phone so i decided to do it my self, lit bit difficult to replaced but i get it done after all, only one mistake i did not to buy the starter from Honda original OEM i bought it from O'reillys Auto Parts i start experience a similar problem couple months ago 06/15/2023 just a lit bit different every time i try to start the car no crank no light on dashboard buzzing noise on ignition key i have to try 2 o 3 times before the car can start i was reading a different Honda forums whit the same issues some people recommended to do more than 3 different things and the first thing i try is to deactivated the aftermarket alarm system bypass the wire the kill the starter switch couple days later the problem continuous 2nd thing i try was the ignition switch week later the problem continuous until one day the car won't start at all check voltage on battery and voltage was OK 12.3v everything was pointing to the starter but the was hard for me to believe 1 year 8 months so i remove the starter again i have lit bit experience removing the starter from previous installation but still pain on the you know take it to O'reillys they swapped for free Because lifetime warranty, on my all life with other vehicles previous owned before when i have to replace a part that is difficult to remove always get the manufactured OEM part not sure why i go to O'reillis i could save some time and money but the second stater replacement fix my intermittent starting issues has been already almost 2 months and is working ok.

Last edited by tintin0595; 07-17-2023 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:38 PM

Hello,

My 2015 CRV has been having what seems to be a fairly common issue of not starting intermittently. When this happens, the brake pedal becomes difficult to push down, the Electric Power Steering light and Starter System Light both come on. I can wait a minute and it will start right up and other times it takes several attempts to get the vehicle to start. My deductive reasoning says it's the starter but that didn't seems to be the issue in everything I read because some people still had the issue even after the starter was replaced. I can tell you that this NOT a battery issue, the battery was replaced, the terminals cleaned and checked the wires checked and all that is just fine,
If replacing the starter has resolved this for anyone please let me know and how easy was it to replace?
Thanks!
Tldempsey68, brake difficult whenever this hard start occurs?
Wish you came back with the solution.
Anyway, have heard that the brake booster (may be hose??) has a leak making the engine hard to start.
Too much air gets into the engine and hard start. When brakes are fine, no leak and engine starts easy.
Just a thought.

​​​​​​​Tintin0595, thanks for the information. Glad you fixed your problem.
​​​​​​​

Old 07-18-2023, 06:25 PM
Default New Starter - problem has been fixed

Originally Posted by avisitor
Tldempsey68, brake difficult whenever this hard start occurs?
Wish you came back with the solution.
Anyway, have heard that the brake booster (may be hose??) has a leak making the engine hard to start.
Too much air gets into the engine and hard start. When brakes are fine, no leak and engine starts easy.
Just a thought.

Tintin0595, thanks for the information. Glad you fixed your problem.
​​​​​​​
I took my CRV to my local Honda dealer after deleting every other issue it could have been had them put on a new oem starter. Problem solved and was told it’s a common issue. 😢 I hope the new last longer.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:52 PM

I took my CRV to my local Honda dealer after deleting every other issue it could have been had them put on a new oem starter. Problem solved and was told it’s a common issue. 😢 I hope the new last longer.
Thank you for the update.
So hard start and intermittent can be just the starter.
Thanks again

Guess the simplest solution is the best??