CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Limp Mode Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 09:48 AM
Default Limp Mode Question

This is a fairly long thread so bear with me.

I friend of mine came to visit me the other day. She has a 2014 CR-V (69K miles) that usually is driven in an urban setting. Some free way travel but typically in town below 40MPH. To drive to my house she had to travel about 90 miles of interstate. On the trip she filled up with gas before leaving town, got on the interstate, and drove about 80 miles at 65-70MPH. Then when about ten miles from my house her CR-V popped up an engine light and went into limp mode. She managed to get off the highway to a gas station then called me on her cell phone. I got to the gas station about twenty minutes later during that time she had read her manual, pulled the gas cap off and reinstalled it (manual advice), the gas wasn't tightened all the way after the fill up, then restarted the car, everything was OK. Idiot light was gone car drove normally.

Later that day she drove back home with no trouble. The car has ran fine since. The other weird thing is the computer MPG reading changed from 23-25MPG to my house to a an abnormal 38-41MPG on the trip to her home.

My question is has anyone had a similar experience with their CR-V?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:06 PM

cant say I've experienced that, but can I ask.. was it really in limp home mode, or was the check engine light just on?
2 very different things.
limp home mode is rare and results in the ecu defaulting to a a linear set of safe fuel trims and power limitations so that engine damage doesn't occur. was it severely limited on power when she had the check engine light?

Old 01-02-2021, 08:36 AM

She told me that when the engine light came on the car slowed down with her limited to about 15MPH.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:05 PM

right ok thanks i had to clarfiy because 99% of ppl think the engine light = Limp Home Mode. heh
So to get into that mode, something more serious than a loose fuel cap needs to happen. Its possible I guess, but very unlikely.
I beleive there is actually a code for "loose gas cap", so it would me wise to get her to take it to someone wiht an OBD2 scanner immediately to check the history of codes and just make sure there wasnt actually something else going wrong at the time.