CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

No Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 09:46 PM
Default No Sound

The radio/stereo in my 2020 EX has worked perfectly until this week, now there's no sound. The first time it happened I was driving - the sound quit, but after a few minutes returned. The second time I was also driving when the sound disappeared, but this time it didn't come back on. Now, it only works if the vehicle has been parked for several hours and I start in Accessory mode (i.e., engine not running), then everything works as it should; but as soon as I start the engine, the sound disappears. The head unit display functions normally - I can scroll through the menus, it shows what FM station I'm turned to, it shows the song is streaming from my iPhone, the map pops up in CarPlay, etc., but no sound - no music, no door chimes or other alerts, no verbal directions when the CarPlay map is on the screen, nothing. I called the Honda dealer, and they said they'd never heard of such a thing, and that the earliest they could get me in to look at it was in next week.

Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Old 07-15-2021, 11:38 AM

Check the connection at the speaker
Many times the connection gets rusted.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:25 AM

Did you try rebooting the unit? Hold the audio button down for 5 seconds or so until the screen asks you if you want to revboot.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:36 PM

As the car was still under warranty, took it to the dealer. Defective head unit. Dealer said the ohm reading on the speaker outputs was 4 times greater than it was supposed to be. The good news, I'll be getting a new head unit. The bad news is the regional supply house has zero head unist. They have no idea when they will be able to get a replacement. So for now - no radio, warning sounds, bluetooth streaming nor streaming via USB.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

thank you for the feed back. glad it turned out to be a warranty item.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:00 PM

The dealer installed a new head unit - unfortunately it didn't fix the problem, still no sound! The dealership has no clue what the problem is, and have sent the diagnostic information to Honda in hopes they have a solution.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:04 AM

Resistance measure of the speakers is 4 times??
Did they replace the speakers and the connectors?

Old 07-29-2021, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Resistance measure of the speakers is 4 times??
Did they replace the speakers and the connectors?
I was told they had measured the resistance of each speaker run, all were correct, and that is why they ruled that out the speakers and wiring to them as the problem. Because the head unit also controls many features of the car (for example, how the auto-lock system works) they are wondering if the problem exists with one of the computer modules somewhere - they just couldn't find any technical info from Honda that would help diagnose the problem.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:45 PM

Last Thursday evening I drove over a speed bump, and the radio temporarily came on - so I figured there must be a short somewhere. Later that evening I pulled the head unit out and unplugged the harness. I sprayed compressed air into the female connectors on the harness, then sprayed both the male and female connections with electrical contact cleaner. Plugged the unit back in, and it works.

Stopped by the Honda dealer on Friday, told them I'd fixed the problem they had been unable to solve, and cancelled my service appointment for the following week.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:26 PM

Sounds like bad fitment of the pins in the connector
Hope it stays working