CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Recommendation for Cat Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 02:40 AM
Question Recommendation for Cat Replacement

Hi!

In November 2020 I had my catalytic converter stolen. The local garage replaced it with a new cat and new sensors. However, as many others have experienced the 'Check Engine' light has been coming on. I read as much as I could on the subject and also checked with other mechanics and so far we have exchanged the Blueprint sensors the mechanic originally fitted initially to a new pair of Blueprints and eventually to Denso sensors (which seem to be recommended in every forum I read) and attempted various procedures at triggering a 'learning mechanism' by following a sequence of commands that involved removing fuses.

The light keeps on coming on. Another mechanic looked at the codes (apologies I cannot find the photos I took of the actual error codes) and said that those were clearly due to the catalytic converter not being the right one. The catalytic converter is very small for a car / engine of this size. On the advice of the independent mechanic the original repair shop now ordered in a BM aftermarket cat and although this seems much more appropriate in terms of size the independent mechanic thought that the positions for the sensors seemed inappropriate for the CR-V and thought that this would not fix the issue and potentially make it worse.

The original repair shop will do one more attempt at fixing the issue by fitting an alternative catalytic converter but no one seems to be able to tell me what aftermarket catalytic converter should work or whether the BM one is one that should work. I would really love to hear from people in this forum who have had similar issues what catalytic converter did work for them.

I will upload a photo of the catalytic converter that is currently fixed and the BM one that has been ordered but not fitted yet. The installed one is the smaller one the BM one the larger one.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am not getting much support from the repair shop.

Thank you!
Sheila

PS: I should say that my Honda passed its MOT (I had the Check Engine light switched off and it usually stays off for between 10 and 80 miles) and emissions test. Getting an OEM cat is also not an option as for starters none are available according to my garage but also financially I don't think it is something I can afford to pay for the garage would not absorb that kind of cost difference. In my opinion it is their responsibility to recommend and fit the correct equipment but unless I sue them (which I will not do) I have to find a way forward that works for them and me. Not every Honda CR-V that has had its cat stolen has had it replaced with an OEM part so hopefully I can find out here about some aftermarket cats that have been fitted and did not result in a permanent Check Engine light.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:39 PM

We had our cat stolen from our 03 Element last June. Denso sensors and a Walker CARB compliant direct fit model 82894 has done well for the past half year.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:25 AM

Thank you very much for replying! I also posted in another forum and after getting a few replies realised that I needed to compare more information: model, year built and engine type. Mine is a CR-V VTEC SE - Petrol, Engine Number is K20A45020534 and Date of first Reg is 2 Oct 2006.

I found that there are two types of cats, one for the K20A4 and another for the K20A5 engine type. The BM 91057H apparently is for the K20A4 engine and the BM 91585H is for the K20A5. Those might be UK brands but the shape and fittings for the sensors are quite obviously different.

I am now trying to get confirmation that the above statement is correct and - if so - would love to get some opinions from people as to what brand of cat has not resulted in a Check Engine light for the K20A4 engine. I am based in the UK so potentially I might be in the wrong forum here but any advice is greatly appreciated as my garage is not very helpful!

Thank you!

Old 01-07-2022, 04:26 PM

Ignore my recommendation then. My vehicle is a 2.4l.