CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

remove skid plate and wash car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 02:27 PM
RbL
Default remove skid plate and wash car?

Our 2017 CRV was brought to Valvoline for an oil change, the skid plate was dragging afterwards, they reattached it but it fell off on the highway 20 minutes later. It took them about 4 weeks to get a replacement. It arrived yesterday, and couldn't get the undercarriage washed before going over to have the replacement put on. It has snowed a couple of times. Does it matter that there was probably salt on the oil pan, etc? Should I remove it so I can get some of the salt back off, and then put it back on? I realize it is not a watertight seal, just a few screws holding it on, and also the "undercarriage wash" is just a spray and not a car detailer with a scrub brush.
Thanks

The Valvoline manager said "You don't really need the skid plate. In fact people PAY us to remove it"

Old 03-28-2023, 04:44 PM

if it were me i would remove the plate and hose it under there.

to remove the plate, at least on my 22 which i think is the same as your 17, as they are both the 5th gen, there are little phillips head screws you have to remove. They are actually called J heads or something. I had to order a J head set off amazon becasue i did not want to mess the heads up- they strip easy if the last person who put them in overtightened.

A few of the screws just turn 90 degrees and pull out, a few others screw in/out all the way. Just be careful.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:08 PM

You and some mechanics don't seem to realize there is more to it than just 'splash' protection. Without it the airflow around the engine and underneath is disrupted. Under hot driving conditions you may experience over heating.