CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Slow Cranking on Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Default Slow Cranking on Start

2005 CR-V w/160,000 miles.

Vehicle has been sitting for a few weeks. Went to start and battery dead. Charged battery fully (it is fairly new) and attempted to start and it turned over slowly. Hooked up battery charger with 50 amp "engine starter" feature and same thing.

Battery tested good under load. Vehicle has an aftermarket Remote Start package that I have always been suspicious of, but it seems to work. I have been using key to try and start.

Removed starter and took to shop. Rebuilt with new brushes. Tech said they were worn, but that he's seen worse. Reinstalled starter. Same issue with slow crank. cleaned grounds. No change.

Climate is 60-70 degrees (F) and the motor has specified oil in it. It did briefly turn over enough to run for about 2-3 seconds when I hooked up battery and the remote starter kicked in. It then died. Nothing but slow start after that.

That's where I'm at...any thoughts?

Thanks for considering!

Old 10-02-2019, 08:02 PM

Read battery voltage. Sometimes a dead battery will not recover from being drained to nothing.
Marine batteries often are drained but they are built to recover.
However, their characteristic is to have their voltage drop off steep from system voltage to nothing very quickly.
Automotive batteries do better staying near fully charged.
So, could be bad battery even if you changed it recently

Do a voltage drop test.
Volt meter from battery positive post (has to be on the post and not cable terminal) and to starter post (again, on starter post and not on cable terminal)
and then crank engine. What voltage did you read?
Zero would be perfect. Anything above 1 volt and there is too much resistance in the cable.

Then do engine ground test.
Volt meter on battery negative post (same caution applies) and to engine block
What voltage did you read?
Zero would be perfect.
Anything above 1 volt and there is too much resistance from engine block to ground.

Last edited by avisitor; 10-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:17 AM

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions.

At this point, my issue may be a locked-up alternator. Last night I had the wife turn the key and the alternator wasn't spinning.

Going to replace that and see where I am at.

I've got the two bottom bolts out but that top one is being stubborn. I don't want to bust it off so been soaking w/PB Blaster. It's moving a little bit as I can see the head moving just a bit with the socket, but still not turning freely. Will give it another shot tonight.

Thanks again for responding.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:11 PM

You could just take off the alternator belt and see if the alternator spins freely or not.
If it doesn't spin then that is probably where your issue is at.
For stuck bolts and nuts, I have found that nothing works better than heat
Heating it up and then splashing cold water on it
Doing this a couple of times usually frees up the works.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:10 AM

Welcome in,you are doing the right thing soaking the bolt,i have found over the years a good rap on the bolt will loosen it also ,good luck,sounds like you found the problem.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
Welcome in,you are doing the right thing soaking the bolt,i have found over the years a good rap on the bolt will loosen it also ,good luck,sounds like you found the problem.
Yes, soaking it was helpful and I did knock it with a hammer a few times. I was able to remove it after that. probably will put a bit of Neverseize on it in the event I need to remove it again (hopefully not!).