CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

Sudden loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Angry Sudden loss of power

1999 Honda CR-V, manual transmission, AWD, California model, with 156k miles on it.
Always ran smooth and strong.
Always serviced and has 60k on second timing belt.
I got this CR-V from a relative about 2 months ago and do not yet have a manual.
Using as a daily driver and putting 60 miles a day on it. has been running like a dream with plenty of power.

Ran out of gas with no indicator light on 4 days ago.

Had sudden loss of power climbing a steep hill two nights ago and then died. Can be restarted (Please see below)

the codes are P0301 , P0302, P0303, P0304, P1399, P0420.

Driving situation was;
Full tank of gas from big name supplier
Nighttime, about 50 deg F outside,
going uphill (steep) for about 2 miles,
5th gear (manual trans)
CRV seemed to be losing power
downshifted to 4th
CRV continued to lose power rapidly
puled off roadway and CRV stalled out
Tried to restart several times and could get to start once but would only run if pedal was pressed about halfway and then in a very rough way. When allowed to settle to idle would settle to about 100 rpm for one or two seconds then die.

When towed to driveway I was able to start but in the same rough way as described above and pull into garage and CRV then at idle would idle at about 100 rpm as if on only one cylinder for 3 or 4 seconds then died.

I would like to check fuel pressure but there seems no easy way to do so. Any suggestions? (possible fried pump from out of gas condition?)
I am considering using the propane method to do a quick and dirty fuel supply check. Any concerns there? Has anyone done this on this engine?
I would like to check valve clearances but if the timing belt jumped a tooth would a compression check be a better first check?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:17 PM
Default Update

Tried extra fuel into intake with no change.
pulled oil filler cap and had significant blow out.
With the sudden onset I suspect a timing belt jump.

Any easy way to check and or reset the timing belt keying?

(I know I should put a new one on but I just want to determine the severity of the issue first?

Thanks again for any and all suggestions.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 PM

One needs to get a manual describing how to methodically check each code, 301, 302 etc, in a troubleshoot pattern. The 300 codes are evidently in the ignition area. I suppose only Honda has the manual, but there are manuals like all-data, I think. You could go to Advance Auto and peek in their manuals on the shelf to look up how to trouble shoot the codes individually. Did you check all the wires for connections and the various tubes for their connections?

Sorry about the problem.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum a failed aft O2 sensor could cause engine loss of power, also a catalitic muffler failure. if you decide to change the O2 sensor, get it from Honda and not an ffter market.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:07 PM

You said you ran out of gas before this happened, so I'm thinking you might just need to change your fuel filter. I had my car die after getting gas at a different place from my usual, and it was just an old fuel filter that did it. Changed the filter, and the car started up like normal.