Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Default weird loss of power

Both my accords seem to be falling apart all of the sudden. My 93 has now developed a new problem. When it is cold (so far, only when it is cold), it loses power. No stuttering, no coughing, no stalling, just no power. It does not die, it appears to be idling. Then the power comes back. First time, it felt like a 2-3 second glitch/hitch in the power. Today, it lasted long enough I was coasting and thinking over pulling over (going about 40-45mph at the time)..probably 15-20 seconds and then all of the sudden the accelerator gave me power again.
Any ideas?

Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: weird loss of power

check your fuel system, pump to pressure, and possible ignitor

Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 AM

1. If it was the ignitor, would'nt it havebeen stalling/dying? New ignitor already put in2 months ago anyway.
2. If it was the fuel system, wouldn't it cough or stutter? It is not doing anything indicating loss of fuel, just no power for a couple seconds (goes down to idle rpms).
I was thinking maybe a computer chip going bad?
It seems to only do it the first couple miles, when the car is cold or just warmed up. After driving it a while, it doesn't do it at all (yet)

Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

I am only going on questions asked, with no information as to any work accomplished on the car to do a process of elimination, apology for thinking it might be the ignitor. fuel system can have signs of cough, sputter, loss of power to die, loss of power to idle, can happen at anytime.fuel pump, filter, Don't know of any computer chips that may go bad. Will ask around about loss of power.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:48 PM

I am still thinking about this.....if it was a fuel issue, why would it still run at idle speeds with no problems? It also seems to run at highway speeds with no problems (although the force may be so strong at those speeds any glitch is undetectable). For instance if a fuel filter problem, I can see at higher speeds it could blow by the "clog" but wouldn't it stutter/cough at idle speed?
Is there anything connected with the accerlerator that tells the pump to dump more fuel that could be failing for short periods? This could explain why it runs fine at idle speeds as the accerlerator isn't involved..just a thought?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

runs at idle due to low pressure required at idle, fuel filter may allow small amount of fuel needed. fuel filter if it has something that floats, it can clog or unclog at anytime. ( this is not saying it is the fuel filter ) anything connected to the accerlerator, idle control sensor.
While you are thinking more of the above items, here are a list of items that can possibly cause hesitation of a running engine. air filter, egr valve dirty/sticky, spark plugs, spark wires, distributor cap or rotor, water in the gas tank, catalitic converter, fuel injectors. If allthe above items haveare new or good, may need to put it under a diagnotic machine and do a check. Pep boys does a diagnosticfor about 45.00.