General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Civic Si 99' - Power-steering loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Default Civic Si 99' - Power-steering loss

hello Forum.

I'm new here, and i have a few problems you might be able to help me with.

#1 Most Recent Problem- My most recent problem is what feels like a few second loss in power steering when i turn corners accompanied by what sounds like a slow grinding noise.

There is also another sound, a screeching, which i believe is some belt, although i'm not sure which one. -----
-----------

#2 Previous Problem
7 months ago- i had my timing belt replaced, along with my head gasket redecked due to a whole in a valve (3rd valve that enables the necessary pressure to build for the spark plug to work.) after this was "fixed" my car started, what i refer to as hiccuping, a momentary loss of power when accelerating or maintaining speed. this happens sparaticly. the mechanic said the refurbished head gasket and other parts were probably just breaking in. i haven't taken it back to him because both times i tried it wouldn't show the symptom.

shortly after this my car would also smell heavily of gas (in the car).
Now, i believe it is burning rich evident by the burning gas smell coming form the tail pipe.

Any ideas on problem 1 or 2?

Thanks Forum,
Mushi

Old 06-05-2010, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. #1 check the tightness of the p/s pump belt, if it is snug, it may be a pump failing. #2 do you have any eng light come on. Did you try to bleed any air out of the coolent system( at the airbleed nipple). this may cause a hiccup. check your egr valve for cleaness.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 PM

#1 The p/s pump belt would not deflect at all. also, i'm not sure if i mentioned this before, but the wheel the belt is on visibly wobbles when the car is on. So, i guess my best bet is to buy a new power steering pump.
i'm really pressed for money. do you know of any cheap reliable places online to buy one of these pumps? also do you feel a refurb. will suffice?

#2 The engine light is permanently on due to an after market O2 censor. I have not tested the car for other problems, as i generally assume the light is on for this reason. but i will do this. Also, i will try bleeding the coolent system, and check the egr valve.

thank you for your advice. i will let the forum/you know if this helps.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:36 PM

on the same note...

would a power steering pump from a SIR (canadian model Si) with the same b16a2 engine be compatible with my B16a2 1.6l dohc 6th generation model?

I'm not quite clear what specifications need to be compatible for the power steering pump to be compatible.