CR-V Forum This compact SUV offers the usefulness of an SUV without the steep fuel bill thanks to the efficient yet powerful engine.

trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 03:24 PM
Default trouble codes

new to the forum, and new to owning a Honda. Just purchased a 2004 CRV with 250,000 miles. Runs, but not as well as I would expect.. mileage is about 23 city and highway. A tree did fall on the front end ( after really landing on another vehicle- so mine just kinda 'caught' it) I am getting trouble coeds 300,301,302,304, and 325...occasional misfires on all cylinders, and knock sensor. Check engine light is on and sometimes blinks. I cleared it and it came back in after a short drive (20 miles). I checked the spark plugs, replaced2 & 3 (old ones were clean - so I assume someone changed them recently trying to fix this). Fuel pump seems to fire up when I turn the key on, but don't start it. fuel pressure is 58kpa , and I get a message via a borrowed fixd scanner that the evap system failed, but no trouble code. I am mechanically adept, and want to track this down myself-or at least try to figure it out, and go from there......................any body have any suggestions?

Old 01-17-2021, 04:11 PM

No idea about the maintenance of the vehicle?
Did you inspect the coil over plugs?
Were there any bright spots or spark tracks?
A vehicle that old with so many miles could have sticky injectors?
May be even water in the gas tank?

When key is turned to the on position the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds.
That is to prime the fuel rail with pressure. 58 kpa is about 8 psi.
Fuel injectors need anywhere from 40 to 50 psi or a little more than 300 kpa
So, fuel pump or fuel system may have an issue.

Evap emission issue with no code??
Does not make sense.
Would work on the mis-fires and knock sensor issue first

Old 01-17-2021, 05:33 PM

the evap with no code didnt make sense to me either.....I would guess (just a hypothesis) that with the random misfires it would be something like a fuel pump or injector pump-although if that went it would probably not run.It would seem to me that its a system wide thing- not just a sparkplug/wire/coil/injector- be kind of unusual for all the injectors/ plugs to all go bad at once.
I had to buy this on the fly- I was out of state and needed something to get me home- sadly I have no history at all - not even carfax.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:34 PM

Fuel pump is not putting out enough pressure.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:09 PM

ok low fuel pressure sounds logical... but I've discovered (via my mechanic) there is no port on the fuel system to actually check that. I did get a compression test on all 4 cylinders, all came in at 165/164 psi.... from what I know, and considering 250,000 miles , is not too bad- so this is still an intermittent misfire between all cylinders, and I'll check one more thing a vaccum leak if that comes up with no leaks I have to think it is a fuel pump......is my logic correct?...

Old 01-21-2021, 07:25 AM

Absolutely, always look at the simple things first
Better to be cautious and do testing rather than throw the parts cannon at the vehicle