General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Prelude sitting for years, What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Default 1990 Prelude sitting for years, What to do?

Unfortunately, I had a dear friend who recently passed away and left this for me in her will. It’s a 1990 5 speed, Si, 4 wheel steering. It’s in mint condition aside from it not being started in at least 5 years. She was the original owner.

My question is, before I even attempt to start this, i’m assuming that I should drop the gas tank and get it all cleaned out. Change oil. Are there any other areas or lines that should be flushed, lubricated etc? Specific chemicals to use for flushing lines?

I am not super mechanical but I’d love to do this car the justice it deserves and honor my dear friend and Honda enthusiast.

I’m located in Philadelphia, Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ChuckD; 08-17-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. after you drain the and clean out the fuel tank, turn on the pump and allow the fuel to purge through the fuel system out the engine area to clean out the old fuel. if you have a filter, put a can of sea foam in the tank with the new gas, it will help to clear out the system. change the anti freeze to new fluid. replace the brake fluids to new including bleeding out the calipers. ( replace the brake pads or shoes as needed ) replace fuel cap, seal is probably dry from sitting. drain the windshield wash and replenish, run the system to make sure it is clear and squirts the windshield properly. replace power steering fluid to new drain trans fluid and replenish.. then keep that car for the rest of your life.. you will not find another like the one you now own, and everyone will want to buy it. don't use chemicals to flush anything out. have your timing belt replaced, even if there are 100 miles on it, 5 years allows rubber to dry out. when replacing the timing belt, make sure you replace the water pump, cam seal, crank seal, belt tensioner. you don't want to go back into the timing belt area until another 60k miles (recommended belt change) . i use to own a 90 accord,lx. honda has 0 clearence or interference fit. if the belt breaks and you crank your engine or jump start with the clutch out and rolling, you just put the piston into the valves. if any questions you can email me acmech52@yahoo.com.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:45 AM

WOW, just take your time.
Replace fluids like motor oil and tranny fluid and coolant and power steering and brake fluid.
Check all hoses to make sure they are good, no leaks.
If the engine has a timing belt then may want to replace.

Good luck

Old 08-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Thanks everyone I will start with all of the fluids. I think doing the timing belt is a little bit out of my realm so I may have to find a decent shop to get that done