General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Civic engine oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Default 2005 Civic engine oil leak

Hello!
Just a couple month ago I noticed an unwelcomed smell of burning oil when I got out of my 2005 Civic VP. I also began to notice significant oil spots under my car in the driveway. I thought old cars are going to leak and continued to keep an eye on the level, but it seemed to be bad and maybe getting worse.
Today I pressure washed the engine and after 10min of driving saw significant amount to oil manifesting on the engine (and the return of the burning smell). I've included a few pictures.
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know where this is coming from and what part of the engine I am looking at. It does appear to be coming from some place high on the engine block (picture circled), so I don'r know if that helps diagnose. It's also hard to see in the pictures, but I don't think the oil is coming from where it has collected, but rather further up and back (where I couldn't fully see).

So suggestions? I think my next step will be to remove what I can from the top of the engine to see if I can get a better visual of where this might be coming from. i would consider myself somewhat handy and a quick study, so I think i could fix the problem if only I was able to properly diagnose.

Any insight and advice would be much appreciated!

Old 05-19-2019, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. it is a good possibility that the oil is coming from the valve cove. if you can get some brake cleaner or solvent spray, spray and wipe off all the oil. run the engine and check with a mirror under the valve cover area to see if it may be leaking from there. if difficult to see, blow some flour in the area of the leak to see if you can locate it.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 PM

Welcome in, I have had two Hondas with some mileage on them develope a valve cover leak,it only gets worse,try to get a socket on it to try and tighten the bolts in that area. Good luck