General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Honda Civic SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 01:05 PM
Default 2005 Honda Civic SE

Hello all. New member. First time post. Thanks for having me.

Here is a little about my vehicle:
I am the original owner. The car has 172000KM. Other than the usual issues that arise with a car this old (brakes, A/C, suspension) the car has been faithful. Until last week.

What is happening now is the car will not start when I turn the ignition. I hear that all too familiar clicking sound much like you would hear when the battery does not have enough juice to crank the engine. Sometimes there is no sound at all. The battery is only 2 years old and is fully charged.

I towed it to my mechanic who also said that the battery was fine and it was most likely a starter issue. So, he replaced it. I picked up the car last Moday and drove it home. 2 days later ,my wife and I get into the car to run some errands. Turn the ignition and nothing. It is not the starter either because I just put one in and performing a starter test (battery to post) yields a positive result.Now I am convinced hat the original was probably still good and that my mechanic blatantly ripped me off. When I dropped in to explain what had just happened and suggested that we test the original starter he refused. Bingo!

I do hear some sound from what I am guessing is the starter realy switch located below the glove compartment. I am stumped. I was actually considering sending good 'ol reliable to the scrap yard but I am torn. That would be such a pity.

Your time and guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Peter

Old 04-26-2022, 02:07 PM

Ignition switch? Relay? You need to do some testing.

Old 04-27-2022, 01:05 AM

First try cleaning the battery posts and inspect the cable terminals
Clean them up and check for green corrosion.
Follow the negative battery cable to chassis ground and clean up contact points

Can not always blame the mechanic.
Some mechanics are just parts changers
They ask you first and then you give the okay
So, it becomes the consumer's responsibility to make sure it is the right decision
Caveat Emptor, ... buyer beware

Also, old parts are sometimes returned to get back the core charge
The core is often rebuilt and tested and put back for sale. Remanufactured.