General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Steering wheel not returning

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 12:29 PM
Banned
Default Steering wheel not re-centering after turns

In question is our 03 Accord 4cy 307,000 on the odometer. My question is while turning right and left the steering wheel doesn't right its self straight again. The power steering pump needed replacing and maybe 30,000 miles later the pressure line developed a leak so I replaced all the hoses re filled the system with "Genuine" Honda PS fluid. Within a month my problem started with the steering wheel not righting its self. Now we have owned the car since new and to the best of my knowledge I'm not real sure if I used Conventional fluid or the Honda type fluid in the past. Is my Rack n Pinion the problem I have or maybe something else.
Thanks in advance for any help.

PS I know long winded but it helps to give as much info up front.

Last edited by C 10 man; 04-28-2022 at 10:03 AM. Reason: better info
Old 03-22-2022, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

possible pump going out again.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:55 PM

Possible causes are binding linkages, bad wheel alignment, faulty power steering rack. Rare to have a bad alignment so bad that the wheel does not want to return.
But, check for bad ball joints and bad outer steering tie rod. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by avisitor
Possible causes are binding linkages, bad wheel alignment, faulty power steering rack. Rare to have a bad alignment so bad that the wheel does not want to return.
But, check for bad ball joints and bad outer steering tie rod. Good luck.
I should have mentioned before that prior to the R&R of power steering pump and all the steering lines and hoses I replaced these items, both L&R Control Arms (ACDelco), complete L&R Strut/coil spring/mount assembly (Gabriel), both L&R Ball Joints (Mevotech), both L&R Tie Rod Ends (Moog) all parts from Rock Auto then new tires (Hankook) and an Alignment.Six mounts later both Control arms needed the Bushings replaced it was cheaper to buy from O'Reillys then send the control arms back on my dime for Warranty .

Now for the first New steering pump (MPP) bought from O'Reillys it was QUITE "noisy" like a high pitch "whining" RPM up & down pitch so it was returned for refund. I got a New one from Rock Auto (Cardone) and "amazingly" the whining went away. So like I said before I can't remember if I used a "generic" brand fluid to top off the reservoir in the past but all I do know is since replacing any of the new P/S parts I have used P/S fluid that states usage for Honda's.

PS, should also have said our Honda was made in Japan not here in USA if that matters.

Last edited by C 10 man; 04-12-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:05 AM

Sorry, now I am just lost to as where to go from here. Please keep us informed when you find the fix.

Old 04-20-2022, 12:52 PM
Banned

Sorry, now I am just lost to as where to go from here. Please keep us informed when you find the fix.
Just waiting to order (not yet ordered) a new Pow. Strg. Pump and a new Rack-n-Pinon from Rock Auto then I'll see what if any thing changes. Haven't ordered anything yet as I have a question here asking if these two wordings "Hydraulic Power Steering" and "Power Steering" units are the same.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by C 10 man
Just waiting to order (not yet ordered) a new Pow. Strg. Pump and a new Rack-n-Pinon from Rock Auto then I'll see what if any thing changes. Haven't ordered anything yet as I have a question here asking if these two wordings "Hydraulic Power Steering" and "Power Steering" units are the same.
Japan made vehicles requires a matching power steering rack. USA made vehicle is different and requires one for USA made.
Hydraulic means fluid and your power steering does use fluids.
So Hydraulic power steering and power steering would mean the same in your case.
There are other types of power steering. Example would be electrical power steering.
Where power would come from an electrical motor to assist in turning the steering wheel

Last edited by avisitor; 04-20-2022 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:04 AM
Banned

Japan made vehicles requires a matching power steering rack. USA made vehicle is different and requires one for USA made.
Hydraulic means fluid and your power steering does use fluids.
So Hydraulic power steering and power steering would mean the same in your case.
There are other types of power steering. Example would be electrical power steering.
Where power would come from an electrical motor to assist in turning the steering wheel
Our Accord in made in Japan as well with our 96 Camry 297,000 on its clock.
So the Honda when ordering parts should I be looking for parts" made for" Japan cars?

Old 04-22-2022, 01:06 AM

It is important to check. I know on my 2007 CRV, the power steering rack has to be made for a Japanese vehicle since my vehicle was made in Japan.
The VIN gives this information. However not all Japanese cars requires specially made for Japanese car parts. But, it is important to check.
Sometimes in the description of the part it may mention for Japanese made vehicles??

Old 04-28-2022, 10:26 AM
Banned

S * h * ! * T more "Disaster" for us, The front right half shaft came apart at the inner joint trans area along with the lower ball joint split in two. Had AAA tow it home and waiting for this weekend to get under it and get a better look at the damage. I'm not sure if this could have something to do with my steering problem or not. Hoping when the axle broke nothing else besides the axle and ball joint is all is needed for that part fix. My wife was turning into a Grocery store driveway maybe @ 5 mph so it just broke and stopped pretty quickly.This time I'll be replacing both sides upper & lower Ball Joints and A Arm bushings also.After this axle fix I'll drive it to see if this fixes it or more is needed.

PS, avisitor from our last conversation on USA & Japan cars for ordering parts RockAuto does for some parts call out for USA & Japan fitment but in a lot of parts nothing is mentioned, hope its not a crap shoot.

Last edited by C 10 man; 04-28-2022 at 08:40 PM.