General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 V6 4dr automatic Accord Cruise Control problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Default 2005 V6 4dr automatic Accord Cruise Control problem

Hello everyone,
My wifes came home last night and informed me that the Cruise Contol was not working, so this morning I went out and looked for a 'fuse'.....could not find one for the cruise control.....then looked for the vacuum can.....could not find one....so must be all computer operated??? Then I started the engine and saw that the "master control light" was not on, in the dash, so I pushed the button and it lit-up until I let go of the button.
So, my question is: Would the button (located on the steering wheel) bad or is it something else.
Any help would be great!
Respectfully,
P. Ford

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 AM

Welcome in,There are 2 circuits that run through the brake switch,a brake switch failure is one possible fault that would make the cruise not work.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by bucwheat
Welcome in,There are 2 circuits that run through the brake switch,a brake switch failure is one possible fault that would make the cruise not work.
Thanks for the reply bucwheat,
At this point I'm not thinking the problem is the 'brake switch'; the brake lights are working and when I apply the brake it will let me take the tranmission out of park. I understand that a bad 'brake switch' would effect the operation of either of these.
I really think the problem is that the main switch (I'm going to call this the 'master' switch) will not stay on......I say this because the light, on the dash, will not stay on when I release the 'master' switch. This 'master' switch must be on before the other cruise options will work. So, every time I push the 'master' switch, the light on the dash comes on, and when I release the switch the light on the dash goes off.
Next I took the vehicle out on the road; at around 30 MPH I held the 'master' switch with my right index finger (the light came on) and then using my left index finger I pushed the 'set' switch and the second light came on next to the 'master' light, and the cruise was working. I then took my right index finger off the 'master' switch and both lights went off, as well as the cruise quit.
So, that is why I'm thinking the problem is the 'master' switch. I would just like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so, did a new 'master' switch assembly fix it?
Thanks again for your time,
Patrick