Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Honda Accord Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:20 AM
Question 2001 Honda Accord Cruise Control

So, I have found a few hundred posts discussing problems with the cruise control on the Honda Accord. It is a relief that I am not alone with this problem, but I haven't seen a good resolution... so I thought I'd post my dilemma and any progress I make, so that if anyone else has this problem, there will be a comprehensive explanation of how I resolve my issue.

I am going to be driving from San Francisco to New Jersey and I would really like to be able to use cruise control through the flat, long part of the journey.

My car: I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX, Coupe, Manual Transmission, 4 Cylinder, VTEC. (And it is silver.)

My problem: My cruise control is not working.
When I press the Cruise Control button on the dash (next to the moon roof button) the light comes on. When I try to use the Set Control button on the steering wheel, nothing happens. The light on the dash display does not come on and the cruise control does not function. I checked the fuses and they are fine. (I actually pulled the fuses and then put them back, when I started it, the CEL came on but the main Cruise Control button did not light up. I put the unbroken fuses back and I reset the CEL light/error codes with my code reader.)
I tried tightening the control on the steering wheel and taking it off and cleaning it.
When I start my car, I still have to depress my clutch or it will not start, so I am assuming that it is not the switch in the clutch.
My brake lights all function properly, does this mean it is probably not my brake switch?
I forgot to try pressing my horn and trying to set it on the highway tonight, so I don't know if that is where the problem is or not.

What other troubleshooting tips should I pursue? And where are the vacuum hoses for the cruise control? I wanted to check them, but it was dark and I didn't have a flashlight, so I'll do that tomorrow. If they are attached, could there still be a problem with that unit? Could it still be the brake switch? Is there any way for me to test the steering wheel control unit?

(Also, my access to tools is limited as I moved to California to go to school and stayed. I do have a decent socket wrench set and screw drivers and the general "mechanics set" made by Craftsman, a code reader, and, for some reason, an 02 sensor tool. I do not have a voltage meter, though.)

Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 AM

I got a lot of tips from the Honda Accord Forum. I was going to Sears to get a multimeter... and I tried the brake pedal. This was the problem, so I have little else to troubleshoot... sorry for anyone that stumbles upon this.