General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 civic Dx 4 dr PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Default 91 civic Dx 4 dr PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hey everyone I just want to say thanks in advanced for helping me out with this. I picked up a ’91 civic DX dr a while back. It has a JDM D15B with a L3 tranny swapped into it. After I had put a new clutch into it, it turned over fine. Then halfway home from the shop it just died. No loud noises, clunks, or random lights. Just died. It tries every time I turn the key but no avail. A little about the car; I’ve swapped in a few plugs around the engine bay, changed the fuel pump, and pulled the stereo. This was all done before the problem occurred and the car still ran fine. Since the problem I have put in a new ignition coil and rotor, checked all the fuses, the connectors for the plugs previously installed. I am fairly certain its still getting fuel but I haven’t checked yet. If someone can give me a quick and easy way to tell if its getting one, the other, or both that would be appreciated. Also I have checked the dash and the ECU and there are no codes, or lights going off. Thank you for your time and input everyone!

Also Ive been trying to think of a broad spectrum way to fix this issue because I also don’t have any dash lights period. So what about getting a new wire harness? Maybe?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 PM

When you turn the ignition what sound if any does it make?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:10 PM

Sounds like the alternator died to me.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 PM

It had never had any issues with it starting prior. Can an alternator just go out without warning? And when I turn it over it tries. It sounds like it's not getting spark or gas. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 AM

Weel if it's turning over and no alt warning light it has to be and issue wth fuel or spark,try turning it over for a few seconds with the hood open throttle body exposed and smell for gas,if you do smell gas then it's electrical,pull a spark plug out smell for fuel on the tip,if gas smell if present ,lay the spark plug out hooked to the plug wire and see if it sparks when ignition is turned.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM

Try disconnecting the fuel line off the top of the fuel filter (should be a black canister under the hood on the drivers side, about the size of a mason jar) and turn the key to the second setting to turn on the gauges and fuel pump for just a few seconds.

Have someone verify that fuel is coming out. If not, you might have gotten a bad fuel pump. That's not that unusual.

If you do have fuel coming out, it could then be an electrical problem.

Also, I've done a huge amount of fix and replace on my son's 99 Civic and still couldn't fix a random dying problem. I found out that you have to disconnect both the positive and negative battery cables and hold them together for 10 seconds. Somehow this discharges some capacitor tied to the engine's ECU and resets it. Worked perfect after that. Weird stuff.