General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord tranny leak - is it possible the input shaft is bent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Default 93 Accord tranny leak - is it possible the input shaft is bent?

Installed a used tranny and in the process installed a new rear main seal while I was there. Problem is when I put the torque converter plate back on I didn't tighten the bolts tight enough and they came loose - of course - which caused a mess, needless to say, not to mention it sounding like heyall. So, I took it back out. It scraped up the back of the torque converter and the tranny inner front as well due to the wobble. I had put a new input seal in it and from measurement and look it didn't appear to be bad. (I know, should've put a new one in while I was at it, but there were other issues at hand I won't go into.) Anyway, I retorqued the bolts and reinstalled the tranny. Upon starting it however, it leaked like a sieve. Is it possible I bent the input shaft? I have the old tranny so I could take the one out of it, although that's a major pain in the posterior. I'm taking it back out now. Is there a way to check the shaft?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum, only way in know of checking the input shaft is to have a block straightedge 1/4 sq and line it up with the shaft in diff places to see if the shaft is straight. if you can take the shaft out and place it on a flat edge plate you can check it that way also. check the seal to see how it might have been damaged also.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
welcome to the forum, only way in know of checking the input shaft is to have a block straightedge 1/4 sq and line it up with the shaft in diff places to see if the shaft is straight. if you can take the shaft out and place it on a flat edge plate you can check it that way also. check the seal to see how it might have been damaged also.
right,,input shaft is my first suspect too..also try checking the Intermediate Pipe..it may also be damaged..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 06-08-2010 at 03:08 AM.