Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

Is it possible that my drive shaft has extended?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Default Is it possible that my drive shaft has extended?

I am unable to re-install my knuckle because the upper and lower ball joints won’t align, as if the outer CV joint has been displaced outwardly. Is it possible that my drive shaft has extended in length? The inner boot looks like it is over stretched / somehow flattened. I don’t remember pulling on the axle shaft while removing the knuckle. I can feel a play in the axle, may be half an inch. I had no success forcing by hand, I read somewhere that I should not be hammering. Both right and left shafts are recent from 9 months ago. How bad is this?

I am in the middle of a job of replacing my front wheel bearing 2-door 95 Honda Accord. I watched tens of videos and read DIY manuals. It is turning terribly wrong.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

you may have a cv joint out of place which makes it appear a bit longer. only way to see is to open the boot. or have it replaced if under warranty.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 PM

The shaft extended will not reach the yoke. There is about a 1/2" gap (got the slip yoke to extend more) between the u joint and the pinion yoke. My other bronco has a 3.5 lift and I always though that the drive shaft was stock, but that lift was installed before I bought it. I Have removed the grease nut or cap from the slip yoke and tried extending it al the way out but it will not come out. Seems like the splines are worn and preventing the yoke from extending. Any one else have this issue? How much movment should the slip joint have in it?
Mercedes Accessories