General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Battery draining. Good Alternator, New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Default Battery draining. Good Alternator, New Battery

So, I just bought my first Honday, a 2008 Accord LX-P about a week ago. My father drove it from West Texas to Dallas for me with no problems and I drove it a week with no issues, but on Thanksgiving, as I was driving to the parents, I started losing power while driving. Eventually all the instruments died, radio, lights, etc. I immediately thought the alternator has gone bad and the next day I went to get a 2nd hand one from a salvage yard. Replaced the battery too for good measure. Same issue. Battery is being drained. I went ahead and bought a remanufactured alternator today and put it on. Same issue again. The battery is not being charged by the alternator. So now I have a new battery and a "new" alternator. I have checked all the fuses and nothing is shorted out, but somewhere I must have a short between the alternator and the battery (my best guess). Any other ideas or suggestions? The previous owner had a Sirius radio wired in at some point, not sure if that could possibly be a problem, but for almost a week I had no issues until that day. I'm at my wits end here and need some advice.