General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

stereo draining battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Default stereo draining battery?

I have a 2005 Accord LX. For about the last month, the factory stereo has been operating sporadically. It will turn off and on while i'm driving on its own in both CD/Aux and AM/FM. Sometimes when it is off while the car is running, the stereo will sound like it is trying to read a CD, as if you just inserted a new disc (even when there is no disc in the CD player). This morning i went out to the car and could hear the radio on before i even got to the car; there was not even a key in the ignition. The car wouldn't start, and wouldn't even take a jump start; however, it would attempt to start, and the belt would start running slowly for about a second or two, then nothing.

My plan to just get it up and running (without replacing the whole stereo) is to disconnect the stereo wiring and replace the battery. Is this a stereo wiring issue or is it a greater electrical issue?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. I have read from other forums, that the radio has been doing what you say to be a up coming problem on several year cars. Do as you said, disconnect the radio, and take it to the dealer to check it out. Or you may want to replace it with a better type. Crutchfield.com has nice set ups and customer service is a call in.