General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Did I cause too much wear to my OEM Clutch? | 98' D16 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 10:16 AM
Default Did I cause too much wear to my OEM Clutch? | 98' D16 Civic

Hey guys, I changed the clutch on my car like around 350miles ago (approx. 550 km) , and I have a few questions:
Sometimes when doing a pull I can hear a sound that sounds like tires screeching when changing gears and letting the clutch out too fast w/o letting the revs drop, but I'm wondering:
  • Are those really the tires doing this noise?
  • Or is it something else in the clutch assembly?
Moreover, today I did a 1-2 pull but waited for the clutch to fully engage slowly (and normally) at first before actually going at it, I upshifted from 1st to second and did let the revs drop but just not enough, and when I released the clutch I did hear screeching noise.
Afterwards the clutch felt just a bit different and I think I overheat it a bit:
  • Is that actually possible to overheat a clutch from a quick gear change?
Anyways, after a few seconds the clutch felt normal again, but now I'm wondering:
  • Did I caused any major wear to my clutch? thanks .

NOTE: I don't ever dump the clutch from when standing still, and when accelerating and engaging the clutch I, most of the time do it while staying under 2.5K RPM, and only sometimes doing it while around 3K...
  • What's the ideal RPM to stay under when going from a stop?
  • Is it OK to start, sometimes at 3KRPM or will it cause the clutch to overheat?

Old 05-23-2021, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

when you changed your clutch, did you replace your throw out bearing. this will squeal when you depress the clutch and sometimes when in gear for a bit. also your clutch should catch mid way fully engaged. speed shifting or power shift without the clutch does not ware the clutch down. my civic clutch had 220k before changing

Old 02-13-2022, 08:38 AM

UPDATE: It was the sound of tires squealing.