General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Idle and brake light problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Default Idle and brake light problems

Alright, I have a wonderful problem. To start I have a 93 civic 4 door 5 speed. The problem that I'm having with my idle is that once the engine gets heated up to normal, the idle starts to rev and doesn't stop. It runs normal when warming up though. The idle starts revving going from 500 up to 1200 or 1500 rpm's. I've cleaned the idle control valve and also have flushed the radiator and cleaned it up because someone had mentioned that that could be causing my problems. And last, my brake lights stay on. My brake pedal isn't pushed down or anything, so maybe a wire issue? Not sure, cause I came home from work one rainy day to find that the brake lights are on and I havn't driven the car in a week or so. If anyone can give me a helpful hint to what I need to do, that'd be great.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM

First, your idle issue. Flushing the coolant won't help. The information you got was pretty close though. Dirty coolant may not be the cause as much as air pockets in the coolant. A great way to eliminate these is to remove rad cap, raise the front of the car and let it idle for about 25 minutes, or until the fans cycle twice. During this period, you must keep the fluid topped off completely. What did you clean the IAC valve out with? Some solvents, such as carb cleaner, can actually ruin them. It isn't an uncommon issue, except usually IAC valves will rev when cold, not when hot.
Second, with your brake lights, make sure the brake position switch is depressed. It is located at the brake pedal "swing arm". When you press the brake, the switch is allowed to pop out, illuminating the brake lights. If, for whatever reason, that switch has become misadjusted and is not in all the way, the brake lights will stay on all the time.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

if your idle is going up and down after the engine is warm, check your egr valve after the above suggestions.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I did clean the ICV with intake cleaner. Also I took the whole throttle body off and took it apart and cleaned it out and one of the vacuum lines into it was clogged with some sort of wax build up. I cleaned all this out and what not and it's running fine so far. Just need a new battery and to fix the brake light problems and I'm only an eighth of the way to getting it running without problems, LOL.