General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Incorrect tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:37 PM
Default Incorrect tire pressure?

Hi all, I'm having fun with my 98 CR-V, and I have a problem with my tire pressure: the door placard recommendation, though consistent with every source I can find, is obviously wrong.

The door placard recommendation for all CR-Vs 97-01 (according to my research) is 26psi. This produces noticeably squashy handling, which I can accept as normal and find acceptable. It also causes less than ideal fuel economy, which I can accept as normal and find acceptable as well.

The part I'm not ok with is that 26psi in my car causes excessive edge wear. This is why I think that pressure is incorrect. A correctly inflated tire will wear evenly (barring alignment issues), right? Worn shoulders on both sides of a tire indicates underinflation, right?

By that logic, when inflating my tires to 26psi (or 30psi, as I've actually been doing) produces consistent edge wear, then the recommendation that says 26psi is enough must be wrong, right?

What I want to know is if any one has determined a more optimal pressure for their CR-V that produces more even tire wear.

I'm currently running a set of Falken Sincera tires in the CR-V's stock size (205/70r15), but I'm planning to change them out for a set of Bridgestone Ecopias in the same size soon.

Any pointers would be great, thanks!

Old 12-28-2018, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

I have found in my experience with most cars I've owned that I use 36psi checked every 2 weeks, my tires all ware same across the face of the tire. I get max milage with tire ware. even the tire shop ask how I do it. the ride is a little harder, but good ware. you might try 32 psi instead of 26 and see how that wares before going up to 36. I drive a Fit, HR-V, town and country. all ware good across the face.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:44 AM

Thanks, I'll try that. I actually like the more firm ride. The car handles better that way.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:36 PM

I put 32 pounds in everything except my F350 crewcab dually, I run 65 in them.i seem to have even wear in all with 32 and my tpms is happy with that.