General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Should I sell the Crosstour or make repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 02:45 PM
Default Should I sell the Crosstour or make repairs

Howdy. I have a 2010 Accord Crosstour, and I’m at a crossroad. 210,000 miles. Just replaced the cat and oil timing sensor, and one of the front vtec valves for 2k. Went to get a tire patched the other day and got an inspection, and boy it was a doozie.
-driver side axle seal leak
-timing belt way overdue
-needs a gasket re ring
-spark plugs
-breaks and rotors getting close.

In total, could be about 4k.
I can handle the spark plugs, pretty sure I can do the gasket re ring. Last thing I want to is sink 3-4k into the car and have more severe transmission issues arise. Money is right these days and taking on a big car payment sounds stressful. Any experience with the lifespan on these engines? I only drive about 15 miles a day at most. Any advice is appreciated. Cheers!

Old 09-14-2023, 08:42 PM

Only you and your finances can tell you what to do. My thoughts would be to choose another vehicle. Something smaller and cheaper. Maybe even newer?

Old 11-04-2023, 04:21 AM

It sounds like you're facing a tough decision with your 2010 Accord Crosstour. With 210,000 miles, it's no surprise that some maintenance is needed. Given your concerns about the potential costs and the lifespan of the engine, here's my take:

The Accord Crosstour is known for its reliability, and if you're only driving about 15 miles a day, that's less wear and tear on the engine. If you can handle the spark plugs and gasket re-ring yourself, that can save you some money. However, the timing belt is a critical component, and if it's overdue, it's not something you want to neglect.

It's a tough call, but investing in these necessary repairs might be a more cost-effective option compared to taking on a new car payment, especially if your overall financial situation is tight. If the transmission has been well-maintained throughout its life, there's a good chance it could still have some life left in it.

Consider getting a second opinion from a trusted mechanic or dealer to assess the condition of the transmission and the overall health of the car. They can provide more specific guidance based on a hands-on evaluation. Ultimately, the decision will depend on your budget and how much longer you plan to keep the car. Good luck with your choice!