General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:19 PM
Default Transmission

I’ve been reading around about transmission fluid changes and I’ve talked to people who know a thing or two as well. But I have mixed feelings about what they say. My transmission fluid is brown and might smell brunt. I would like to know if it would be safe to change the fluid. I don’t see any signs of my transmission slipping or it doesn’t seem damaged yet. I have a 2007 Honda Civic with 120k miles on it and has never had a fluid change for the transmission before. The only thing wrong right now is that It feels like my car is shaking back and forth when I slow down or hold a certain speed and it was at low speeds now it’s at higher speeds. Is it to late to change the fluid or should I get a new transmission like everyone else is telling me. I’ve seen videos saying it’s safe I’ve seen videos saying it’s not so I’m confused on weather or not I should change the fluid to save my transmission from more damage or if I should replace it. If you all need more info let me know I can provide.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 PM

Vibration? Take a look at the motor mounts and tranny mounts ... just in case.
As far as I know, changing tranny fluid is okay to do a drain and fill as long as you use the right tranny fluid
These days the fluids in these machines require are very specific. Use the right ones.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

changing transmissiion fluid is good, use Honda only fluid. you will need to change the fluid run the car for a few thousand miles, change the fluid again, run for a few thousand miles and change again. it takes normally 3 times to change all the fluid to clean due to fluid in the converter will not drain, only in the transmission pan. your vibration could be from unbalanced tires or warped rotors and drums if you have drums on the back. also tire out of balance or poor wiheel alighment could create vibration. take one problem at a time to fix.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by acmech52
changing transmissiion fluid is good, use Honda only fluid. you will need to change the fluid run the car for a few thousand miles, change the fluid again, run for a few thousand miles and change again. it takes normally 3 times to change all the fluid to clean due to fluid in the converter will not drain, only in the transmission pan. your vibration could be from unbalanced tires or warped rotors and drums if you have drums on the back. also tire out of balance or poor wiheel alighment could create vibration. take one problem at a time to fix.
my fluid is brown and burnt so I just wanna know if it’s gonna be safe enough to do. I have all new brakes and rotors on my car and an alignment was done on my car as well. It’s not really vibration. I don’t know how to describe it but it’s like my car is pulling back and forth as I’m driving. I also had my tires balanced.