Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Accord Stalling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Smile 1989 Accord Stalling Issues

I have an 89 accord that will start but stall once you slow down or brake. I feel like its something with the vacuum hose for the carb or just a vac hose. I was hoping for a little insight about what it could be. Also how could I test this without spending a bunch of money. Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 03:21 PM

I have the same issue, its been doing this ever since I bought the car about 3 months ago, then it got worse once I swapped by distributor out and my check engine light goes on after warm up. As far as I know...

Check for vaccuum leaks
check base timing and make sure its on point
check pcv valve and check plugs for spark, any oil on the plugs, change them both
check EACV, make sure to have a tri tip driver to get it apart after you pull it. clean out with carbon cleaner
do same with the throttle body.

thats what im in the process of doing, but i dont have a lot of time until this weekend to do any of it. tightening up the slack on my gas pedal tensioner cable seemed to help a little bit as a quick fix only though until the weekend hits.

get a chitons/hanes or both and best of luck

Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Default 1990 Honda Accord

Hi, Im new to the forum thing, but have worked on many cars. Currently trying to trouble shoot a similiar problem. How to replace the TPS and throttle body. Cannot just replace TPS, it doesnt remove, Dealer doesnt make parts, so the salvage yard is our best bet at this time. We have tuned up. New plugs, wires, dsitributor cap and rotor, vacuum hoses replaced, Starts and begin idle high and low. Rev's up and down constantly. When TPS is disconected the idle jumps to 28.000 and sucks gas and accelerates jumpy. Any info would be appreciated. Sunny

Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Anyone know how to find replacement parts, mainly the throttle body/TPS assembly for 1990 Honda Accord. Dealer doesnt make them anymore. Have idling issues with very well maintained Honda Accord. Thank you Sunny

Old 04-04-2010, 06:47 PM

A vacuum gauge will work. Also I would check the pressure in your fuel system with a fuel pressure gauge. Should cost about 40 dollars for the gauges.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Default your options by Sunny

[quote=bdunk881;12404]I have an 89 accord that will start but stall once you slow down or brake. I feel like its something with the vacuum hose for the carb or just a vac hose. I was hoping for a little insight about what it could be. Also how could I test this without spending a bunch of money. Thanks[/quoter

OK, to start with, I need more info. in order to diagnose your problem. 1.How long has this been going on? 2. When was the last tune up? 3.Has there been any major work on the car? 4.How often do you maintenance the car? These questions will allow me to troubleshoot through some easy cheap fixes. I have delt with your problem with several vehicles, that fit the syptoms you have described. Definately the 1.fuel filter can, 2. Air filter,3. Distributor cap and rotor, can change the effects of the whole cars performance. Sound like the choke on the carb. could be a little sticky, in which case a can of carburator cleaner can be used to clean out the carburator air intake chambers. Start car, remove air breather, have someone give it gas while you spray carb. cleaner in the carburator. Also spray down a rag and clean the breather cover on the inside where the air filter is. Check that the duct vent is clear and clean. Also if chump change is available see about replacing the EGR valve. It should attach to the breather with a bubber hose, then to the EGR valve, and then to the valve cover on the engine. They are cheap. To check the one you have, simply remove it, then shake it, if you can hear the ball rattle on the inside, its probably OK. If not clean the hell out of it with the carb cleaner. That should help. Gas tratments also help. Several high end fuel additives and cleaners that boost octane levels. Replace Air filter if its dirty. Check vacuum hoses for cracks, splits, breaks, or weak attachment points. You can always trim off the tip of a hose if you have enough length, otherwise the hose is 1/4 inch vacuum hose line and is pretty cheap, sold by the foot at any auto store. Try these options before you try replacing ant sensors or major components. Good luck s_sundance@hotmail.com

Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 PM

s_sundance@hotmail.com contact me by email, it might be faster