Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Accord acting like it is out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Exclamation 1991 Accord acting like it is out of gas

I have a 1991 Accord LX with 226K miles on it. A little back story, the car was dying on me when I was driving down the highway or city streets at random times. I was able to start it half of the time after it would die, but had to have it towed the other times. It would also die when I would come to a stop, unless I put it nuetral and reved the engine. One mechanic (non-Honda mech) said that the fuel pump was bad, which he replaced with a non-Honda pump twice because the first replacement also died. This did not solve the problem. He did notice that the car would run if he raised raised the front of the car with a lift and then when he lowered it, it would die.

I was finally able to get it to my regular Honda mech who had heard something about another car running while the front wheels were in the air. He found that it was an electrical issue with one of the ground wires that had come loose in the back of the car. This solved the problem of the car dying while I was driving it and when coming to a stop.

Now I have a problem with the car acting like it is out of gas. The car runs great until I reach about a 1/2 of gas and then the car will start sputtering while I am driving and then die. If I fill the car up, it runs great again, until I reach a 1/2 tank again.

Possible Solutions - I now have two mechanics telling me different things.
1. The first mech says that the fuel pump is fine (there is no way that two FP's can both be bad) and that his guess would be the baffels in the gas tank have gone bad and he wants to replace the gas tank to see if that fixes the problem.

2. My Honda mech believes that the baffels should be fine and that the problem is with the non-honda fuel pump. He thinks that it might be a slightly different size or that it is a deffective fuel pump also. He says I should put in a genuine Honda FP and it should solve the problem.

I purchased a Honda FP and would like for the first mech to put it in only because it is still under warrenty with him and the labor would be free, but he said he won't do it because he does not believe it is the problem (even though the problem has never really been fixed). I have already thrown away several hundred dollars and really don't won't to let any more just float away. I am planning on taking the car back to the shop early next week.

Any thoughts you have or advice on who to listen to would be much appriciated. If you need anymore info about the car, LMK. - Thanks for all your help in advance!!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Default Fuel pump problems

It sounds like the NON Honda fuel pump is not picking up fuel from the bottom of the tank.

To test this "theory" siphon or run the car until the car stops again. Jack up the back of the car so that the fuel flows to the front of the tank.
If the engine starts, then the problem is related to the fuel pump.

Your tank is not half full, it is HALF EMPTY !

Solutions:
1> Replace the NON -HONDA fuel pump
Does your gas gauge work properly?

2> Inspect the fuel pickup on the Non Honda fuel pump and correct it.
(extend it to the bottom of the tank)

3> Take the bus

HJ