Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

96 Accord Driver window & sunroof stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Default 96 Accord Driver window & sunroof stopped working

My Driver window has been getting bad for a while. It finally died on the way to work a few weeks ago. There was a storm coming and I was desperate to get it up. During my breaks and lunch I took the master switch out and dismantled it. I blew it out inside and wiped it off as good as I could. After I reassembled it and tried to use it, I seen a small spark on the drivers switch. It still wouldn't work but I didn't see any more sparks.

I just bought another switch at a junk yard. It works on all windows just find mirrors etc..., but the drivers window still wont work. I also noticed that the sunroof won't work anymore either???

I checked all the fuses and they are fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum, If the master switch works and the fuses are good, check the windown motor, if there is power to the motor, it may have failed. if you take the motor apart, the brushes may be bad, dirty, or the unit it's self has failed.
on your sunroof, again check to see if there is power to the motor/actuator. if pwr is available then it may be the motor.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM

I would check all that armech52 said to do and if you're sun roof is stuck open there should be a button on the headliner that pops out so you can manually close it with I believe and allen key, until you figure out your problem. As far as your driver door is concerned you will probably need a new regulator which should come with the new motor already attached. ask when you order it.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:24 AM

Sorry, it took a while to find my multimeter. I haven't used it since we moved a few years ago!!

Thanks for the tip on closing the sunroof but thankfully the sunroof is stuck shut.

As for the window:
There does not appear to be power to it.

Here is the rundown on all the wires I checked that attaches to the master switch. The ones going to the driver window with no power are listed last.

(Working)
yellow w green stripe (down)
yellow (up)

(Working)
green (down)
green w blue stripe (up)

(Working)
blue (down)
blue w yellow stripe (up)

(Always hot)
White w yellow stripe
Blue w black stripe
white w black stripe

(Misc)
Green w white stripe
(no power no matter what button is pressed) I cant tell where it goes. It is in the same row right next to the driver window wires.

(Driver Window)
These wires have no power when I toggle the button either way. They go from the master switch directly to the window motor. I'm not sure which one does what.

Red
Red w blue stripe
Red w yellow srtipe
Black

What do you think I should check next?

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Default Solved

ITS WORKING!!!

Ok...
After I found which wires were for what I googled (Honda accord) with the various color wires. I found a post that said the green wire with white stripe goes directly to the fuse box. Since the wire had no power I knew I had to be the fuse or the wire was broken somewhere. The article said they usually break at the door. I knew I had checked the fuses already but I thought I would check them again. They still LOOKED ok... but I decided to replace the driver window with a new on just incase and it worked!! I guess the fuse was bad.

Thanks for the help and i hope something I posted will help somebody else.