Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car speeds up for no reason, help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Default Car speeds up for no reason, help

Hello there, I have a 03 accord with a 2.4 Vtec eng,auto trans. This car speeds up from around 65 mph for no reason with the cruise control DISENGAGED and taking Foot Off The Accelerator Pedal what the h e ! ! is going on with that. Yes the car can be shout off by the ignition. Can anybody out there give me some direction on which way to start looking for whats making the car speed up?

Would appreciate any advice for my problem.

Last edited by babcock9er; 05-23-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:53 PM

I guess I should have said the car has did this three times in the same up hill curve with winds blowing around 35 to 50 mph. Maybe the up hill or up hill curve or even the up hill and the curve and the winds have something to do with it. I had a fault code (16-01) rear right speed sensor that I cleaned by compressed air only and so far it hasn't did the speeding up thing yet but the winds haven't been that strong lately. Not sure as where to go from here.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:51 AM

Ok when you say it speeds up, are you saying with your foot off the petal the car will go over 65 mph or the motor will rev up,? Was you using cruse control before this happened? Sound to me based off my understanding of what and the way you wrote, That your throttle might be sticking or acting as so? I am nearly sure 16-01 code is ABS wheel sensor and should not make your car rev or speed up. Now your TB dirty can stick or your throttle cable can stick rust inside , or your TPS could be a problem. If it does it again with your foot pull out behind the gas petal and see what happens and please let us know.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by jstme71
Ok when you say it speeds up, are you saying with your foot off the petal the car will go over 65 mph or the motor will rev up,? Was you using cruse control before this happened? Sound to me based off my understanding of what and the way you wrote, That your throttle might be sticking or acting as so? I am nearly sure 16-01 code is ABS wheel sensor and should not make your car rev or speed up. Now your TB dirty can stick or your throttle cable can stick rust inside , or your TPS could be a problem. If it does it again with your foot pull out behind the gas petal and see what happens and please let us know.
Her foot was Off the gas pedal when it did its speeding up thing. when it happened to my wife the cruse control was OFF, 43 yrs ago one of our cars a 72 Charger SE Brougham cruse control wouldn't disengage for her so to this day shy has Never used the/a cruse control again in any car or truck..
My wife is the person that this speeding up deal it does it too not me. I have tried to duplicate it by her driving and my self driving it in the same curve and same speed but the winds have died down so can't say if the winds had anything to do with it or not.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 AM

Well if it only does it with her that is odd! What part of the country you live north south east west? This might help find the real problem. Have you been in the car when it did this before? If not could it be she wants a new car? If you was in the car when this happened, and if not please ask her and tell us what was done to stop it from speeding up even more? How long after her foot was off the petal did it take to stop speeding up, or did it stay at a speeding up until shut off or??? Was the gas tank each time or shortly before each time filled up? When gas is put in the car do you or her fill it past the point when the pump shuts off to round up to the next dollar?

Last edited by jstme71; 06-01-2019 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by jstme71
Well if it only does it with her that is odd! What part of the country you live north south east west? This might help find the real problem. Have you been in the car when it did this before? If not could it be she wants a new car? If you was in the car when this happened, and if not please ask her and tell us what was done to stop it from speeding up even more? How long after her foot was off the petal did it take to stop speeding up, or did it stay at a speeding up until shut off or??? Was the gas tank each time or shortly before each time filled up? When gas is put in the car do you or her fill it past the point when the pump shuts off to round up to the next dollar?
Three times so far only she had it happen to her, one time then maybe 2/3 wks later about a 3-5 days apart span the 2nd and 3rd times so not doing it all in a row. The 2nd and 3rd days event was winds blowing 35-50 mph not sure if that mattered but maybe. Live in So Cal lower desert Palm Springs area. I have tried to duplicate it with same way same speed same hill incline everything except no wind blowing above 10 mph. With her driving only and with me in the car her driving as well with me driving it hasn't did it any more. Her first thought for stopping was the brakes it just seam to keep going then she slapped the gas pedal she says 8 to 10 times before it stopped speeding up, all that was done in a matter of 10 seconds +/-. If the tank was filled it was before she went to work and her work is 35 miles away so she would have had at least 50 miles driven from a gas fill. All three times have been when shes headed home from work. From work to when and where it happened is abound 15 miles away so car had been running for 15 minutes at freeway speed 70 mph.Gas fills are rounded to next even amount so at $4.29.9 a gallon (Chevron) you don't put much more in maybe a cup 8oz.

Last edited by babcock9er; 06-01-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Ok what I was asking was when you fill up the car do you stop putting gas in when the pump stops its self like $20.56 or do you round it up to $21.00?
The 3 or so times this has happened was the car full of gas or the tank was partly full or ??