Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Default car won't start

The car was running before I changed the valve cover gasket. The sparks plug hole were full of oil so when I pulled out the plug wires there was oil dripping off of them, so I sopped it out of there with a screw driver and paper towel before I pulled the spark plugs. I then replaced the valve cover gasket, put the new ngk spark plugs back in, then went to fire it up and Nothing! It just sits there and spins over. Any Ideas? One thing I did do though, is before I put the sparks plugs back in I turned the engine over a few times to get the oil out of the cylinders. Could I have horribly flooded the engine. I've dried the spark plugs out twice to no avail. The pistons look moist looking down through the spark plug hole.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: car won't start

welcome to the forum hondaman: hope we might be able to assist you. When you put your plugs back in, did you put any anti-sieze on the thread?Did you put the correct wires back on to the same plugs, have you had your timing belt changed recently? Did you check to see if you have any spark from the wires to the plugs?

Old 06-14-2008, 06:01 PM

I agree with ac....Check to make sure the plug wires are on the correct plugs. That will definately keep a motor from starting if the wires are wrong.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 AM

Everything is still in the loom and hooks. I did check the spark and found none. Could it be the coil, or something inside the distributor? Maybe the wires?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

might check your wires, If the car was running before you replaced the v/c gasket, and the wires and spark plugs were the only items youworked on, go backwards. Spark plug, wires, then to the distributor/coil. How many miles do you have, and did you have difficult pulling the wires off the spark plugs, this might have broken the internal carbon in the wire.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 PM

I would also go with faulty wires. Have you changed them since owning the vehicle? I know they dont last forever so it is a good chance that they could have broken internally. I work electronics for a career field and have found many a broken wire that by all outward appearances look good. If you have a multimeter, you could check the resistance from one end to the other just to make sure.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 PM

I replaced the wires today and I still have no spark. I'm going to take it down to the honda dealership to have them check if it's the ignition control module or the coil. I've done everything else I can think of. The weird thing Is I did not change anything. I don't know how anything could have gone bad.

Thanks for the comments
Erik

Old 06-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Default RE: car won'

Yes, you have to take it to the Honda center THey'll help you

Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Did you ever fix the problem? I had the same problem, when i had the wires unplugged, somehow i shorted something out and had to change the ignition fuse/module. Started right up after i changed that and reset the computer.

Brandon