Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my transmission going???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Default is my transmission going???

the automatic transmisson on my 94 accord with 130,000miles was never perfect, but i think its alot worse now. My transmission shifts hard into 3rd, makes alot of clicking noises while in drive and makes some clank noise when shifted to reverse, although it has so many minor issues, it was never enough for me to get worried and take it in. Thats sorta changed now, i was driving home going about 50-60kmh in 4th gear, i put my foot down so the car would downshift to 3rd but to my suprise, the loudest bang/clank/whatever was made, it literally sounded like a massive chuck of somehting had just broken off and smashed onto the road, or like a spanner was wedged between moving gears, it was over in about 2 seconds but startled me so much i pulled over and checked under the hood but couldnt see any obvious problems, im not sure what it was but im convinced the tranny had something to do with it, i drove home and evething was fine, i tried driving eratically, accelerating hard, doing everything i could to reproduce the noise/bangs i heard before so i could identity where it was coming from but i couldnt do it!, it drove perfectly...wtf is going on?????..............

Old 03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

your might want to check to see if you have a loose bolt floating around your converter area. When was the last time you had your tranny flushed, checked etc.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 PM

Clicking banging sounds like you may have some bad axles. See if your CV joint boots are ripped also.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 PM

typically when trannys go out in accord you will experience the pushing the gas while moving and all it will do is rev. if a tranny goes out usually it will randomly work in low speeds but as the rpms and/or speed increases the tranny won't catch and all it does it rev up. when this happens its time to get your tranny rebuilt at a shop or put a new one in yourself

bad cv joints will make a distinctive click when turning which will get louder and louder as they get worse until the axle or cv joint breaks(which could have been the loud sound you heard) but if it is still running fine i doubt that thats your problem. the way to check is to check both the inner and outer cv boots on the front axles. though the joints/axles can be messed up without showing damage to the boots

loose bolt on the torque convertor to drive plate could be the problem. you should be able to jack up the car and take off the accelerator cable holder and torque convertor access plate to view the bolts. turning the crankshaft bolt will turn the convertor letting you see all the way around it also