Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED Help please 04 Accord bogging down no power

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 11:29 AM
Angry NEED Help please 04 Accord bogging down no power

Hi I am new to this group and need help please....

My brother gave me his accord as he quit driving it about a year ago and his neighborhood told him it had to go, It was either call the junk yard or I could try and fix it... History on the 4 door 2004 EX 2.4 is my brother bought the car new in said 04 and has put 180k miles on it. He has done no maintenance other than change the oil , air filter etc, just general stuff... The car is nice in my opinion, black leather heated seats, sunroof power, air, nav, etc... nicest car I ever owned and I really want to get it running well as I will be using it to commute to work if I can here in the near future when I move.

The check engine lights was on and he was aware , he never checks those things, heck he has a hemi ram truck pretty new and it has a check engine light on and he just ignores them until he can't or just stop driving it such case this car for instance, he is not mechanically inclined to do any real work on a car.

codes on the car are shown in the pic below. I replace the vtech actuator , the forward 02 with a denso, catalytic converter sensor, fuel pump module and still the codes appear. I disconnected the baterry to clear the codes and the check engine light went out for a day but the car still had no power and the check engine light came back on again with the same codes.

Am explanation of the issue is that when you start the car and its cold and have not been driven for a day or so the car takes off like it should and power is fine until you get a few block in and it start to bog down and pose power to the point where it literally can not make it up a steep drive. it acts like it is running out of fuel or something like that... My man daily driver is a 1967 vw bus and it is very basic, carb, three wire on the engine etc lol I know about tuning , timing , carb adjustments etc as I have been driving this vw for 22 years and have become very acquainted with making adjustments to the engine but this Honda is killing me. I do not want to take it to the dealership as they will just be guessing and suggesting things and it will just cost me a small fortune.

This Honda exhaust smells really clean, no odor at all.
Idels really smooth and quiet as a mouse.
Does not smoke or burn oil. the only thing I see that needs attention on the engine is the valve cover gasket as it is oily there.

if anyone can help with suggestions I can try that would be great. I did check the transmission oil and it is bright clear red and engine oil is fine, I peeped at the air filter as I could not completely remove the top but from what I saw the filter looked okay although I could not see the bottom of the filter. I just assume he had that regular stuff done when he got the oil changes. I don't know what else to add at this moment and tried to give a detailed breakdown... thanks again
jeff