Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noises

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Default noises

I have a 2004 accord EX coup 6 speed. I hear a vibration aound 2000 RPM when accelerating. I suppose it could be my exhaust system vibrating but it sounds like it's comming from up front. What is it? My mechanic tells me it's not the valves.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: noises

easiest way to find the noise is to have the car up on a hoist or jack stands and have someone run the car up to the 2k speed in gear to reproduce the sound. Get under the car and get a stethescope ( sp) with a probe and touch areas that you may think is making the noise. from the age of the car, usually the exhaust system is making that noise, cat, the exhaust shroud around the cat vibrates.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:26 PM

Yeah, I've talked to a few people and they're all telling me it's most likely the exhaust. Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Hopefully this helps someone. Ijust got the timing belt and water pump changed (twice, see below)andthe ratteling went away. Mechanic tells me that it's likely that the water pump bearing was on it's way out and was making the noise. I didn't go to honda who wanted $1100 for the job but insteadgot it done by another mechanic for $700.I still think I got gougedbut at lease I saved $400.

OK here's the story along with a good argument for using OEM parts. The first time I took the accord in, I was driving ithome and after 1 mile or soI starting hearing a lot of clicking. I turned the engin off and called the mechanic. After screaming at him abouthim replacing the valves and head,he drove outand determined that the aftermarket water pump he just put in had failed.I drove it to the shopand theyhad to do thewhole job again. They had to keep it for another day but replaced the pump with Honda OEM at no cost to me.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

I am glad you spoke up. the price you paid was a lot better than Honda Dealer,and yes, When I did my timing belt and water pump, crank and cam seals, I went to get all my parts from Honda. Also had a friend of mine, a good mech replace it for me. in bout 50k miles, I'll do it again.
Aftermarket parks are ok to use but need to get genuine Honda when coming to timing belts and waterpumps. Don't want to do it twice again.