Honda Civic Forum This top selling compact car, offered in both a coupe or sedan, has become popular among people who want economy and performance.

dun-dun/knock noises when braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Default dun-dun/knock noises when braking

I'm having a little weird noise now when braking. Started a couple days ago and is intermittent. Basically it only happens if I'm slowing down from a speed of 30MPH or less and if I'm not pressing hard on the brake peddle.

The should seems to be a dun-dun-dun-dun knocking style sound. It seems as if I feel the vibrations from the noise in the peddle itself. It doesn't occur every time and seems to also be a little worse when I'm slowing down while turning left.

Three weeks ago I had new struts, new lower CV joints, new brakes, and all that jazz done so it shouldn't be that.

For the hell of it I took it to the only place open today, Firestone, and they said they didn't see anything wrong. I don't trust those places really anyway...

The brake peddle itself makes knocking noises when I push it in and release (pump it) while parked.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to the forum. you should take it back to the same place that changed all the items on your car, and have them find and fix the noise since it started after all the items were changed. If the cv was a rebuilt installed, it could be the cv. check for loose lug nuts, check the caliper for loose parts, the back of the brake pad for loose backing, also have someone step on the brake, jack the car up and listen for the noise.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Took the car back. They found nothing wrong and didn't hear the dang noise. It got quiet for the past week. All of the sudden this evening, I had three people with me and it was doing it loud again as we were at a speed of 10MPH and braking at a slow rate. Does it when we turned left slowly into a parking spot too.

UGH!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

now its beginning to sound like the left cv is not so good. still need to take it back and explain to the mech when it did it. Document all this that is happening, and allow the shop to fix their ooooppps.